Marine mechanic Pender Isaland

Flatlander

Can anybody suggest a reliable marine mechanic on Pender? To much hassle to take the boat and trailer into Vic for service.thanks

Hey Flatlander - did you find a mechanic? There was a guy that used to advertise down at the dock at Poet's Cove. You could check down there at the marina. He was around there last year, as he wrenched on a friends boat. SS.

Sorry to hijack this thread I don't know how to start a new one. Last week I launched my boat at rocky point. When I turned on my battery switch, the starter engages and tries to start the motor, an inboard Volvo penta 5.0 litre. I turned the battery switch off, waited and then tried it again. All was fine. Headed out and was cruising for about 20 minutes at 25 knots when the started tried to engage the flywheel. I shut the motor down immediately. With the key out it continued to try and start the motor. I got the kicker going, and limped back to the dock and headed home with the boat on the trailer. Today I put a new starter in the boat, put the ears on the leg and turned the battery switch to the on position. The same thing happened, the starter was trying to start the motor with no key in the switch.

I have no idea what to do next and I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have a trip to Poett Nook starting August 13 and need to get this fixed.

Even a mechanic that could fit me in with short notice old be greatly appreciated. I live in poco and the boat is trailered

slammin ,thanks for the tip. As well, just found out the new owner at the driftwood gas station does some service.

Sorry to hijack this thread I don't know how to start a new one. Last week I launched my boat at rocky point. When I turned on my battery switch, the starter engages and tries to start the motor, an inboard Volvo penta 5.0 litre. I turned the battery switch off, waited and then tried it again. All was fine. Headed out and was cruising for about 20 minutes at 25 knots when the started tried to engage the flywheel. I shut the motor down immediately. With the key out it continued to try and start the motor. I got the kicker going, and limped back to the dock and headed home with the boat on the trailer. Today I put a new starter in the boat, put the ears on the leg and turned the battery switch to the on position. The same thing happened, the starter was trying to start the motor with no key in the switch.

I have no idea what to do next and I am hoping someone can help me with this. I have a trip to Poett Nook starting August 13 and need to get this fixed.

Even a mechanic that could fit me in with short notice old be greatly appreciated. I live in poco and the boat is trailered

To post a new thread, go to "boats, motors, trailers" home page, scroll to bottom right, ans click on "new thread"

It sounds like you have a short in yor wiring from a hot when the night switch is on. Likely in the ignition switch. When you turn on the night switch, your starter solenoid is getting a signal to turn the engine over. Definitely needs looking after or you could take off some teeth on the ring gear, if it engages with the engine running, which would involve removing the engine, and possibly the leg, to replace.

Back