Marine First Aid Course

Fishing Guide

Cheers All,

Putting together one final Marine Standard First Aid Course for this year. This is a one day (instead of 2) and will cost only $120.00 (instead of $200.00-285.00). This course provides your Transport Canada Marine Standard First Aid Course (good for 4 years) as well as your St. John's Standard First Aid (good for 3 years).

Part of your requirements as a guide in BC is a current St. John's Standard First Aid Course or, preferably, a Marine Standard First Aid Course ON BOARD. Provides comfort should the unthinkable occur while fishing. Also simply good peace of mind while fishing with friends and family.

There is room for 6 (one spot already taken) and the only pre-requisite is having passed a Standard First Aid Course previously. If you wish to know how the course is set up you can ask Iron Noggin' who was in the last course.

Let me know so I can set up a date.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff
www.fishingvancouverisland.org

Cheers All,

Thank you juandesooka</u>! I tried to think of everything but sometimes the best plans go astray.

The course will be held in Nanaimo</u>. Last course had entrants from Ucluelet, Courtenay, Nanaimo and Duncan. Having the course in the geographical middle gives equal opportunity to attend.

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Cheers All,

Iron Noggin's comments on this course:

I found the course to be thorough, well presented, and covered well what it was designed to. The instructor was very efficient, stuck with the time frame, and yet maintained an excellent sense of humor. Can't go wrong with this one Gentz!

Thanks again FG for setting the last one up! Very Much Appreciated!

Cheers,
Matt

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

While I realize SJA might simply be providing a caution here, it kinda smacks of something else to me...

And just so you know, the course this thread is related to IS very much accredited! The Instructor has all the required certifications, and at the end of the show provides with with proper, certified documentation that you have the course under your belt.

It is a long day, and definitely not for anyone who doesn't already understand the basics (a previous course is a plus!). But for those with smaller time windows, and a good working knowledge of First Aid, this one very much is THE</u> way to go IMHO!

Cheers,
Nog

@IronNoggin - Yes, just a word of caution, that's it. Too many times I see students fall for the Too-Good-To-Be-True quicky and/or cheap first aid course and then find out later that they were taken advantage of. Generally when that happens, it ends up costing more of the student's time and money.

I listed a toll-free number and a website in the event anyone wanted to verify for themselves and not just take the word of a 'SPAMMER' who neither gets paid by the hour nor the post.

Best of luck!

Cheers All,

SJA: Thank you for bringing this to my attention. In fact SJA's post is correct: the first aid course taken was NOT SJFA but Red Cross Standard First Aid with Marine Endorsement. I will explain.

As Fishing Guides are almost a "Non-Profit" - I approached SJA for their best price. They provided a course fee of $180.00 - which was the best they could do and was less expensive than VIU. I contacted Transport Canada and they are only concerned that one member of a passenger carrying vessel's crew has a valid "Standard First Aid Course" and would prefer - but not mandadate - a Marine Standard First Aid Certificate. With this in mind I received the price of $110.00 plus GST for a Red Cross Standard First Aid with Marine Standard First Aid Endorsement from one of Nanaimo's largest and most reputable training academies.

Transport Canada is NOT concerned with who presents the course rather that the course is a Standard or Marine Standard First Aid. Since Transport Canada issues the Marine Standard First Aid Certificate directly I am not overly concerned with whether or not it is SJA or Canada Red Cross as both are equally qualfied to present Standard and Marine Standard First Aid Courses.

I took the last Red Cross Marine Standard First Aid Certificate course and I found the instructor both personable and highly professional. She also had a sense of humour that is rarely found in such environments. In a word she was - EXCELLENT!

I feel qualified to provide such input as I have taken several Standard First Aid courses before, have taken many Occupational First Aid Courses - through WCB - and have not only worked as a OFA Attendent but have also driven ambulance. Finally - I have taken the Occupational First Aid Training Course and am qualfied to teach Occupational First Aid Courses in BC. I am qualfied with Canadian Ski Patrol as a First Aid Patroller and Hill Captain, with Red Cross as both a Swim Instructor and Lifeguard and with Provincial Emergency as a Assistant Search Leader with Search and Rescue. In short - I have extensive background knowledge in first aid.

I appologize that my post informing of the course was in error as, when I began to put this course together I tried to obtain SJA but found the price too expensive. I changed the provider without changing this post. I appologize to SJA for the confusion and I hope that they will accept my regrets for the confusion created by my failing to change the post. I appologize to those who took the course that there was confusion. It was not my intention.

Having said that I will let all know that there is one more course coming up: A RED CROSS Marine Standard First Aid and we have 4 out of the 6 spots already taken.

If you have any concerns either with this post or with the courses please contact me immediately.

Finally: Regardless of whether you are a guide or simply someone who enjoys the outdoors, a Standard First Aid Course is an excellent way to enjoy our outdoors as one is ready for whatever occurs. Plan ahead!

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Hi Fishing Guide,

Thank you very much for the clarification, we greatly appreciate it. I just want to mention a couple of things regarding the Standard and Marine Certifications.

Like I mentioned earlier, the cost for a Standard First Aid with Marine Basic is $172.50. Now yes, this is higher than the price from your Red Cross source, but students are NOT REQUIRED to have pre-requisites AND we can take up to 18 in the Standard First Aid.

Also, I'm not sure when the last time you might have spoken to someone at St. John Ambulance was, but there have been significant changes in the past few months and I wonder if you might not have been made aware of our new Private Class Pricing - depending on the size of your class, we would be giving your Red Cross price a run for it's money!

And to wind it up, to the best of my knowledge, Transport Canada DOES NOT issue certifications directly.

We appreciate your promotion of safety and first aid because in the big picture we all just want everybody to have safer lives - if you might be interested in discussing anything, shoot me a PM.

Stay safe!

Might be interested if you can arrange to hold it on the weekend.

Searun

th_067.jpg

Cheers All,

The Marine Standard First Aid / Red Cross Standard First Aid course is now booked IF we get the confirmations from the 6 members (but we can have as many as 12):

- Saturday February 27th, 2010
- 8:00 A.M. - 6 P.M.
- Price: $110.00 plus gst ($115.50) :D

I need FIRM committment along with the full and correct name you will have on your certificate. The sooner I have the confirmation the sooner we have it scheduled as a GO so time is now of the essence.

If you have anyone else intersted NOW is the time as this is the last course I set up before NEXT SPRING!
</u>

Fishing Guide
www.invictuscharters.com
BC Outdoors Pro Staff

Took the coarse through St Johns Ambulance on a Sat & Sun $180.00 and held at Gorge Rd Hospital.

Back