Malibu tyee vs double eagle?

I would have to agree for that kind of budget at can get you a lot of boat. Still have to think of do you have the rig to tow a bigger boat. Will it only be for fishing. All that being said I still think that the Tyee is a nice "all round" boat. If I was going for the fishing only and had the rig to pull it, I would look at a bigger boat with that kind of cash. We are not making this easy for you are we.LOL

Or... spend less on the boat so you have money for fuel, insurance, launching or moorage, fishing and prawning gear, better electronics, accessories, tow toys for the kids, maintenance and repairs, etc. We've found, over the years, that the boat's the cheaper part or the recreation equation. If my wife had known then what she knows now, she would have kept her job! ;)

I say again. I find 150hp overpowered for a 17' boat. You don't need to go 50 MPH and it's not safe. It may not even be rated for that. And if it's four stroke I doubt the transom will be rated for that weight and it will pay the price eventually for this abuse. I would check what the boat is rated for in terms of HP and weight and stick to that. A boat hull is designed for a certain weight distribution and a certain torgue on the back. If you ignore that the boat will handle differently than designed for and that may not be very good for you and the boat. 115hp is plenty for a 17' runabout. And look at the gas prices at the pump and you have another good reason to go as small as possible while doing what you want to do with it.

Its rated for max 150 hp. The upside is the engine wouldn't work very hard to push that ride. Likely cruise less that 4000rpm.

My vote is with the Double Eagle...well build, will last forever....Strong.
I have one from the early 80's.....heavy, safe and handles pretty well...still in great shape.

The Double Eagle and the Tyee are the same boat IMO. And if you are going to have 3-4 big guys in the boat then I would have the bigger motor. Just because the boat will do 50 does it mean you have to go 50. I would rather have the power and not need it than the other way around. Most 17ft boats I see have a 90-115 4 stroke or the bigger 2 stroke. And like Kelly said they are rated for a 150HP. IMO you should aLways get as close to the boats max HP as you can.

Or... spend less on the boat so you have money for fuel, insurance, launching or moorage, fishing and prawning gear, better electronics, accessories, tow toys for the kids, maintenance and repairs, etc. We've found, over the years, that the boat's the cheaper part or the recreation equation. If my wife had known then what she knows now, she would have kept her job! ;)
Your not kidding the money that I've spent over the years on boating related things is Crazy.LOL

The Malibu Tyee and the DE are the same hull. Do the reasearch and pay less for the same thing!

Hey Chris. So, the 150 motor is an Optimax-"2" Stroke. Much lighter than 4 stroke. The rating max is 165 Hp. So, it is fine and safe. Check the boat out on Craigslist: Malibu Tyee it is the only one there. Looks like a very well taken care of boat as mentioned. Price? Ok get back after viewing it. Cheers

Smart thoughts on having the extra HP there Casper. It's like if one were to go hunting Lions in the safari you might as well pack a 7mm in case you disrupt a rhino. Better to have the big power than not!

Like I said, I think that is a great boat if it's your first boat to start out with.

I had a Malibu and it was a very good boat and offered a good dry ride in snotty water. The only difference between the DE and the Tyee that I noticed is that the Tyee had a thicker transom. You can't go wrong with either. I had a 115hp Merc (2st) on my Tyee and found it had sufficient power.

I agree With High five. For under 27k you could pick up a used North River sea hawk or something just as nice out of the states. :)
I agree you have a lot of choice for under 30k...if your looking for a family boat, an aluminum wouldn't be my first choice. We fish a seahawk, and ya it has a cabin but I know very few wives who would put up with the ruggedness of a ALU boat day after day..She'd either leave you, or just tell you to go out on your boat alone. Depending how much you like being out there...either may not be the worst :p

For the family, I'd stick to a glasser personally.

We have a 97' Malibu 185, and its a great boat. Fished offshore of ucluelet lots and it handles well, just have to watch the weather. Great boat for fishing and the cuddy is nice for keeping your gear dry.

My fishing buddy from Nanaimo has the Malibu 185.

It's a great boat, but no more than 3 for fishing. The cuddy is nice for storage, or perhaps a cozy overnighter or two.

I really like how deep the boat is (gunnel-wise, if that's the right description), it definitely gives you a sense of safety.

We have fished out of Campbell River, but typically drop it in Port Alberni. It's been as far out as the mouth of Alberni inlet, and if the weather was cooperative, I think you could go a ways on the outside as well.

I've never felt unsafe when we've been out, even in some pretty big-butt swells.

He runs a Yammie F115 with a F9.9 kicker, and it is very good on gas.

Since he is the boat owner, I always pay for gas for a day out and even when we run to the Renfrew area (outside), troll all day, and run back, it has never costed me more than $30-40. If we stay in the Inlet, it is literally like $15 in gas for the day. Cheap as borscht.

In short, if he were selling the boat, I would snap it up in a heartbeat. It's a lot of boat in approx 18ft.

Oh! Forgot to add that I nailed my first Tyee (no pun intended) in it this summer too (Alberni Inlet). 34lbs / 40" tip-to-tail, and nearly 20mins of good, clean hard-fighting fun. Still eating it actually .... ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back