Malibu 185 gas problem

lucky ling

Ive had my malibu 185 for a couple years and really enjoy it, but when I bought it, I quickly realized that filling it up was a huge pain in the butt. Every time we went to fill it, gas would shoot out the filler hole if we pumped the gas to fast. Thinking that the solution was easy I installed a breather tube and a vent adjacent to the filler hole. I positioned the entrance to the tank for the vent line at the top of the tank ( furthest away from the filler), so that air had somewhere to exit the tank ( see attached diagram). Well a season later and the problem has got better, but to fill the tank still takes along time. When were filling the boat when its on the trailer, it really isnt a issue, but as soon as we want to fill the boat on the water, it can be a real challenge not to spill a ton of gas. I think that part of the problem is that when the sea is rough the gas sloshes around, and creates an air pocket resulting in no exit route for the trapped air. Has anyone had this particular problem with malibu boats (canadian company) or any other boat?. The boat is a 1997.

Thanks,

lucky ling

Attachments

• malibu gas problem.JPG
    malibu gas problem.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 241
Id be willing to bet the vent hose has a "belly" in it. That line has to have a gradual rise from tank to vent outlet otherwise an airlock will result. Ont other thing may be that some vents have a screen that gets plugged. Replace vent thru hull or simply poke a hole in the screen.

get fat people to sit on the bow while filling... worked for my trophy

We have positioned the vent line so that it has a gradual rise, and the vent is through the hull. I think mabey the solution is to vent the line on the side of the boat so that the line is shorter and the air can escape easier, any thoughts.

check your gas line if you can make sure it does not have any rise in spots underneath, had the problem with a campion resituated the hose and all was well. except the baot was a piece of crap :(

x2. ,also, shortening your vent line wont make any difference.Sounds like you either have the above prob, or you have a restriction in your vent circuit.

I had the exact same issue with my 2003 Malibu. I replaced everything from the tank up - new fuel line, vent hose, cap etc... At the end of the day, I just needed to learn to be patient and listen for the gurgle that would preceed the overflow mess. Just wait a few seconds and continue. PITA.

I had the same boat and everyone else who has has the same boat will tell you, it is a pain to fuel up on the water. I had a 4.3 v6 and the way the fill and vent lines are run combined with the fact that the stern of the boat sits so low in the water, I am not sure there is a lot that can be done that hasn't already been suggested. If the tank and vent were at the bow end I believe all would be well. You don't seem to hear of any 182 owner complaining probably due to the weight factor. All you can do is make sure your lines are clear and go slow.

thanks for the info charlie. We also have a 4.3 in our malibu. Yeah I guess there really isnt a solution, but it sure is a pain sometimes it takes 10 minutes to fuel the boat, and sometimes gas spews out with no warning creating an emberrasing mess.

If I remember correctly where the vent line passed through the bulkhead into the bilge was actually lower than the fitting off the tank. Maybe you could notch out the bulkhead to raise the vent line. That is about all you can do as stern of the boat sits so low in the water I think that both the fill and vent lines are full of fuel after you are 2/3 full. To get any more fuel in you have to force the air out.

Did you ever solve this problem? I have a 185 as well with a 4.3 in it and i can't believe how much of a pain it is to fill up. It takes me 10min to pump 30 bucks worth of gas and i usually end up with a bunch shooting out of the vent too. I had a friend following me as i towed my boat over the alberni hump and he said when i got to the top and the boat leveled off a bunch of gas shot out of the breather. I need to do something to fix this asap. Would it help to Y the breather line at the tank and have 2 breathers?

My buddy had the same boat/problem .... That was off the showroom floor. They ended up putting in one of those venting filler caps on it and it fixed it

2820540C.jpg

Back