make sure you check your kicker oil

ReelAffair

I know alotta guys including myself dont check your kicker oil on a very regular basis. I normally check it every couple of weeks...never had to add any oil and change the oil once a month....maybe I change the oil toooo often but oil is cheap and I am way to anal with my toys.

Yesterday how ever My kicker stalled on me, then it restarted after a few tries and did it again later.

TURNS OUT

my oil was filled with gas due to a ruptured diaphram in my fuel pump. I had just changed the oil 3 trips before and all was fine....it happened since then.

My kicker is a 9.9 highthrust 2006 so not too old
Just a bit of a warning to help avoid problems

what make is your 9.9? ,Yamy? Merc?

I take it you just fixed the diaphram, changed oil, and good to go?

one more thing to watch out for when owning a
B,ring
O,n
A,nother
T,housand:)
and thanks for the heads up....

it s yamaha

change the oil and replace diaphram is all that is needed, I caught it in time....if left it could make a mess, I have seen engines hydraulic and bend connecting rods

the torture we give ourselves owing these boats:)

on the plus side my kicker got a crankcase flush...not that I ever let the oil get dirty

good call - u were right huh? Glad it was a quick fix and you can get back out there and find the fish we couldn't find!

That is a common problem with the fuel pumps on the 9.9's. Normally you would have noticed a sheen of oil/gas in the water behind your boat as the overfilled crankcase puked it out. I've never had any internal damage from this type of problem. I've had 3 or 4 do the same. By the way, a stuck open t-stat will also cause gas to enter the crankcase, eventually causing the same symptoms. When you oil level goes up those are the 2 things to check...diaphram and t-stat.

I pulled mine apart and it is definately the diaphram....it has a small tear in it.

The sheen of gas came out on the last time it stalled....nothing before that...it ran like a top

Allot or most of these ripped diaphragms I think are mostly caused from a fuel restriction do to the anti siphon valve at the top of the feeder tube in the gas tank. The reason I say this is my experiences with fuel restrictions on two boats that we owned... long story short, the anti siphon valve has a spring and a ball, the motors have to suck gas against the force of that spring! That puts huge force on diaphragms.. I am no mechanic, far from.. from what I went through and learned from fuel restrictions on two boats, anti siphon valves are an issue....
Read my post here in this thread http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15859

"On our second boat here the fuel restriction was so bad it caused one of the diaphragms in the motor to rip. At the time we did not know what happened. When we brought the boat in they opened the motor and found the ripped diaphragm and replaced it. Even the pro mechanic at the shop did not solve or figure out the actual problem that was causing this. We had to figure it out on our own. We pulled out the feeder tube from inside the gas tank. In the feeder tube there was an internal mesh screen filter! we had no idea that was there.. it was also clogged up. The anti siphon valve is part of that feeder tube at the top. In side the anti siphon valve The spring inside that holds the ball bearing against the end to stop the fuel from anti siphoning was stuck. The motor had to suck gas against the force of that stuck spring causing the fuel restriction and intense force starving the engine and causing the diaphragms to RIP!. We took it apart and put the anti siphon valve in a vise and smashed out the ball bearing and spring so there is a free open flow now. The anti siphon valve is only needed if the motor is below the level of the gas tank. We removed the old in line mesh filter as well so the feeder tube in the gas tank has an open flow. We run a Racor fuel/water separator filter from the gas tank any ways so there was no need for the old style in line mesh screen filter in the gas tank feeder tub any more... I must say the engine runs 100% now, hole shots are instant the boat comes up to plane right away, what a huge difference in performance when you don't have a fuel restriction. "

This is a common quirk with the 9.9 Yami fuel pumps, especially the ones that are not water cooled. The fuel heats up, a partial vapour lock occurs, the diaphram flutters with the lack of fuel and will wear out prematurely. Some of the larger Suzuki's are having the same issue, especially in southern/warmer areas.

it does sound fairly common, they had parts in stock, cost me $60 and some time, changed the oil, installed the new diaphrams (mine is a water cooled pump), checked the valve adjustment (4 years and haven't had to adjust them...they are always bang on) ran it for 20 minutes and changed the oil again....all good to go:)

Common enough that I carry a spare diaphragm for my kicker and a complete spare pump for my main. Never know when one will pack it in, on an out of town trip or on a Sunday when parts aren't available.

I had the same problem with my Evinrude kicker. There's a small check valve inside the diaphram pump chamber. It fell apart and the pieces rattled around inside untill it tore a hole in the diaphram. New pump, an oil change, and good to go.

Back