Mahama reels???

Sitkaspruce

So one of the reels I recieved when I bought my boat was a MAHAMA mooching reel.
Did the usual internet search and can find very little. Made in the US, around $250 and not much else.

Anybody heard of them? Own one? Comments?

It is very smooth and I like it. Nice drag and large arbour for palming. It is on a Lamiglas ACT 106 rod and makes a great set up.

SS

OK for occasional use not for serious angling, issues having to do with design and wear as I recall.

We were a test bed for the original Mahamas. As I recall, while guiding up at Queen Charlotte Lodge that many of us guides had the spool lock up on us while playing large Tyee's. Not good!
From what I remember, at first glance the reel looked bullet proof. Well machined and given a heavy brownish anodizing for supposed scratch resistance. ( mine scuffed all the same while bouncing on the boat deck before and after releasing salmon.)

After all was said and done, we still favoured and trusted Islanders, Shimanos, and Daiwas.

I've had one for a couple of years. It sees about 30 days of fishing a year, mostly off riggers, with a little mooching. It has been a good reel, drag can be a little sticky, but that may be the result of inconsistent maintenance. Sounds like you have a nice setup, enjoy.

nerka

Back