Mackerel on the inside water

Northdogboy

Hi I live in Nanaimo and I was Wondering do we get mackerel on the inside? and if so where?
Id like to try some for bait or to eat, and would not mind looking for them.

The closest I ever heard of was in Campbell River some hillbilly thought it was a Tuna!

Anyway 'Scomber Japonicus' isn't much good to eat-soft grey strong tasting flesh Prawns & Crab sure like them though step on the carcass first before loading it into the trap.

...'Scomber Japonicus' isn't much good to eat-soft grey strong tasting flesh Prawns & Crab sure like them though step on the carcass first before loading it into the trap.
Depends on your palette. I like it - although it is oily. Best BBQd to get rid of some of the oil...

If you do get Mackerel some place, they need to be gutted and put on ice right away. We caught a bunch one time in the Alberni Inlet and just put them in the cool locker. There was ice in it but I guess not enough.
We cooked them up quite awhile later and they were awful. The meat had gone all pasty and they tasted weird. I had one piece on a fork and that was it. Rest went in garbage.

Lots on the west coast certain years when the water is warm. Never seen any on the east island side yet.

I've caught them and seen boiling schools around Gabriola/ Ruxton. That was about 10yrs ago

Been some years since we caught any. Good thing, hate to say it but I do hope you cant find any because they are not there. Usually means strong El Nino and no salmon 3-4 years later. Bad for normal BC fishing.

HM

we've caught them off the fraser quite a few years ago during strong el nino years, it was probably in the early to mid 90's when I was fishing sockeye, not a ton of them but most were hooking into the odd one. it's definitely been a while but they have been here

Back