mackeral for albies

mikep

So I have this crazy idea of possibly using some mackeral for albie fishing off the west coast in the next few weeks. As I understand it these little buggers are out in full force. Are any of you guys getting these things in the 10" or less size range? I have a large bait tank and wouldn't mind relocating some of these little guys about 50 miles offshore where they could become the prey. Maybe a 1/0 hook though the nose and live lined or trolled slow behind the boat with a bridal? Could be interesting....

Yes, TONS in Barclay sound...we caught / killed / kept 22 last weekend on our salmon gear. Throw down some mini-squirt hootchies at 25 feet with a flasher and when you catch a mack, circle back, you will catch as many more as you want. If you did this for an hour I bet you could get a dozen or more.

I've also caught them off the dock at the boat launch in Bamfield casting a spinning lure. Caught one almost every cast. They come in all sizes but most were 8-10 inches.

that is exacly what I wanted to hear..........8-10" should be prefect for fly lining. This could be the beginging of somthing interesting.

keep us posted - I'm interested to hear how you do as the supply of makerel off the cabin dock is endless. Also had the pilchard circle through a few times which was cool.

Try fishing them with a herring rig. The one with about 10 tiny hooks. Then you would have multiple hookups and get the job done faster.

Thats the plan, we are headed to tofino the first three weekends in september for some tuna action. So I will have to look around that area for some of the slimey macks. I have a huge bait tank that could proably fit 20-30 of these guys.

Back