Lowrance Point 1 GPS antenna

Yes and best part If you set your GPS to course up (should anyway) its always pointing forward even if you caught in current and sitting still no arrow wobble on your GPS . I love it....

not very good. get a DGPS antenna like the HS60/HS70/HS75 instead. its not affected by magnetic fields like your radar and you can put it anywhere.

if you have the older plotters then yeah it’s a good idea or if you need radar overlay. The new plotters are 10hz built in for gps so no need for a external antenna as they are 10hz as well.....unless you have the plotter buried under a lot of **** lol.

not very good. get a DGPS antenna like the HS60/HS70/HS75 instead. its not affected by magnetic fields like your radar and you can put it anywhere.
Modern, solid state radars do not use a magnetron so no magnets creating a stray field ... and the price of the HS 60 is outrageous by comparison. The Point 1 is fine for most recreational boaters.

if you have the older plotters then yeah it’s a good idea or if you need radar overlay. The new plotters are 10hz built in for gps so no need for a external antenna as they are 10hz as well.....unless you have the plotter buried under a lot of **** lol.

Do not confuse refresh rate (10hz) with accuracy...that is a common error. GPS will only be as accurate as the sat alignment at that particular moment allows. It has nothing to do with how many times a second the receiver recalculates. The best you can do on the water is an estimated position error of about 3 meters (10-11'). If I am in an airplane moving at 400 mph, refresh rate becomes meaningful...not on a boat. Disregard the "marketing" twist on some things...simply unimportant for our purposes in fishing.

Modern, solid state radars do not use a magnetron so no magnets creating a stray field ... and the price of the HS 60 is outrageous by comparison. The Point 1 is fine for most recreational boaters.
nonsense. i used to have one and it was affected by everything including mag field from power wiring.

Do not confuse refresh rate (10hz) with accuracy...that is a common error. GPS will only be as accurate as the sat alignment at that particular moment allows. It has nothing to do with how many times a second the receiver recalculates. The best you can do on the water is an estimated position error of about 3 meters (10-11'). If I am in an airplane moving at 400 mph, refresh rate becomes meaningful...not on a boat. Disregard the "marketing" twist on some things...simply unimportant for our purposes in fishing.
Not confused at all with the refresh rate..... read the post

Yes and best part If you set your GPS to course up (should anyway) its always pointing forward even if you caught in current and sitting still no arrow wobble on your GPS . I love it....
I think some folks overlook a big advantage to the Point 1 is the electronic compass and heading sensor. Much better at low speeds for accurate orientation and position. It's not just a better GPS antenna. And it's affordable.

Not confused at all with the refresh rate..... read the post
Okay, then perhaps you're confused with what the Point 1 is for - It's not just another antenna.

nonsense. i used to have one and it was affected by everything including mag field from power wiring.
You seem to have experienced a unique problem. Electronic compasses are not usually effected by weak, local magnetic fields. Was it calibrated properly?

Last edited:
Okay, then perhaps you're confused with what the Point 1 is for - It's not just another antenna.
Hardly lol......... know lots about them...... however I have a precision 9 compass so no need for a point 1 FYI. Don’t waste your time trolling with me

Hardly lol......... know lots about them...... however I have a precision 9 compass so no need for a point 1 FYI. Don’t waste your time trolling with me
Don't be offended, just a question: is it worth that much more money considering recreational boating and fishing?

Yes , Got it and love it, even with all the aluminum around it .... IT WORKS GREAT

Attachments

• point 1.jpg
    point 1.jpg
    228.9 KB · Views: 29
I have a Point 1 with a broadband 3G radar. I have power lines all over the place, some within less than 2 feet of the Point 1 and never had a problem with magnetic fields or reception in the last several years.

Back