Lowrance paddle wheel and temp unit

This is my third Lowrance unit I have purchased and all three come with this paddle wheel and temp sensor. I have never installed them because I never thought it would do any good, considering I'm getting acurate speed from the Gps. As for water temp...?

I guess I'm looking for a bit of a consensus from you guys, do you use them and why? Thanks.

The paddle will give you acurate water speed when you are trolling so you can compare that with the GPS ground speed. This is great to see what the currents are doing

That's what a friend of mine told me as well, water speed vs. gps land speed. I'm still having a tough time wrapping my mind around that one? I thought gps speed was totally acurate when trolling at say 3mph. Looking forward to hearing more peoples experiences with this.

Look at it this way. Water speed and GPS speed are not the same. You can stand still in a river, hence GPS speed is zero, but the river may be flowing at say 5 miles per hour, hence water speed is 5 mph. In the ocean I adjust the trolling speed depending on how fast the current flows.

i have just the transducer mounted.. you can get current info if you hit the wpt button with the cursur on the c. the temp sensor is on the transducer. my temp works, the water temp in comox is around 65 degrees. maybe you need the wheel to send info to a unit that doesnt see the water ie: engine room or something.
one less thing to drill holes for in my books.
my 525 acts up now that i have hooked up a vhf to it. my gps screen seems to default to the 10 mile range when i switch, sonar screens, and i lose bottom readings more now..hmmmm. im rechecking my wires.
cheers..
if you have the navionics card reader you can get the current flow for the tidal area your planning to be in.
cheers

I have just sea trialed and the temp sending unit is on the transducer, very cool. I like the theory of the river and what the current is doing while your standing still, thank you.:D

Back