lowrance 83/200khz transducer

mjd

hello all

I know this question has been asked but I can't find an good answer. . .

I have a lowrance HDS 5 GPS/FF unit. The transducer it came with is 83/200khz--Can I get some feedback from people that have experience with using the 83khs frequency in the ocean around Vancouver Island? I am interested in the detail, depth, and sensitivity at both fishing and running speeds. I guess I am also interested in knowing if this transducer can be swapped out for a 50/200khz? I think i read that all the HDS transducers are interchangeable. . .

I have been trying to research this but it seems like the specifics are always missing. I am curious if I should be looking for a different transducer or if this one is worth keeping.

Thanks guys

you can run the 50/200 or the 83/200 on the hds amount others. The 83/200 is the lower end unit the 50/200 is better but if your buying a transducer you should buy the p66 is not much more then the 50/200 and it works really well. the lower number like the 50 or 83 works better in deeper water and will track bottom better when traveling at speed. In the 100-200 foot I would use it on the higher setting like 200.

Airmar P66 all the way. Wider cone angle let's you cover more water, higher power transmission and paddle wheel will give you accurate speed through water. I've seen a properly installed P66 track bottom and mark fish in 450 ft of water running at 35knts, something you'll never see from the HST-WSBL.

thanks, I agree, from what I know the 50/200 is a better choice, but I am curious if anyone has any specifics they can offer about the 83khs other than what is stated on the website (angle, beam width. . .)

haha, i'm starting to get a clear picture here though, the P66 is a good upgrade. Is the P66 compatible with the HDS 5? I am also curious why the power of the transducer is not stated. This is a pretty important part of your transducer from what I have learned. Do you know the power of the P66? I think it is 600w but this is pretty much a guess.

thanks again!

Yup, the p66 is 600 watts and the stock transducer is only 200-250, can't remember which. I upgraded to the p79 which is the same as a 66 but its a shoot thru hull transducer, difference between stock and this one was night and day

Yes the p66 is compatible with all hds units. I have had atleast 4 boats that had the 83/200 they work fine until you have used the p66

Yes party Marty it will work. I just bought one for my elite 7 hdi.

well after much talks with mike P (HC)and FA big thanks guys
have gone with a P66 for my soon to be new electronics simrad NSS8
also have a elites 5 and a 7 so hopefully will be really impressed by both the head unit and P66
almost all the 7 pin blue connectors are HDS Lowrance//simrad//B&G compatible
elite 5's have the smaller blk connectors

was looking at the TM260/270W but there $900 - $1350 so was really pushing the slush fund
and the bank indoors would have not been impressed.....lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Let me know how you like it, ive been thinking of upgrading my transducer from the stock, seems everyone says its a big difference.

Yup, the p66 is 600 watts and the stock transducer is only 200-250, can't remember which. I upgraded to the p79 which is the same as a 66 but its a shoot thru hull transducer, difference between stock and this one was night and day

Pretty sure a HDS Gen 2 50/200 transducer is 500 watts. I upgraded to a P66 and I think the big difference in performance is because of the 45 degree beam angle compared to 29 degrees on the stock transducer.

Back