Lowrance 3G Radar issue

Ling.dinger

Hello, been following in the shadows on this forum and I have to say there is a tone of great information that gets shared. Hoping someone could help me out in my situation.

I’m looking for someone that has experience with Lowrance 3G Radar repairs or knows someone that might be able to take a look at mine. I’ve replaced the Ethernet cable and took it to Harbour Chandler to see if they knew what’s wrong with it. Seems to have shorted out somewhere and I can’t get the radar to power up. If it’s possible to fix that would be great…

I’ve done some searching on this forum and sounds like most likely I’m screwed… so if anyone has a used one looking to sell I’m interested. Thanks!

Hello, been following in the shadows on this forum and I have to say there is a tone of great information that gets shared. Hoping someone could help me out in my situation.

I’m looking for someone that has experience with Lowrance 3G Radar repairs or knows someone that might be able to take a look at mine. I’ve replaced the Ethernet cable and took it to Harbour Chandler to see if they knew what’s wrong with it. Seems to have shorted out somewhere and I can’t get the radar to power up. If it’s possible to fix that would be great…

I’ve done some searching on this forum and sounds like most likely I’m screwed… so if anyone has a used one looking to sell I’m interested. Thanks!
I’ve replaced two in the last four years. One had water in it , the other just wouldn’t fire up after sitting for the winter. And it sat under cover all winter. Both times I took them to Harbour chandler to be tested. They told me both were done. Ended up buy new ones .

What is the warranty terms on those? That’s brutal
One year warranty. The first one was just a week out of warranty, so they gave me a bit of a better price. The second one full price. If this one on the boat quits. That will be the last lowrance

Hate to say it and get into product "bashing".... but my solution after burning two Lowrance units started with a G.... ended with an N... and said "armi" in between. I feel like the Lawrence radar units just were not up for Westcoast weather... you see them all over in Miami, Texas, and San Diego... that could be the issue. my 2 cents

We replaced our 3G Lowrance with a new one last year and couldn’t get it to fire up. Turns out the young guy who wired it up had not done it properly. There are 2 wires that go to your positive terminal and he had put the small yellow one on the negative side. Once we had that switched over it works fine. BTW- the more experienced techie who fixed it said that we could probably sell our new unit over the price we paid for it new. They are not making these 3G units anymore and if you have an older plotter(like we have) then a new, more modern radar will not work with it. This means when your 3G radar goes you are on the hook for an entirely new electronics set.

Thanks for all the feedback. I upgrade my plotter to HDS live last year, sounds like I’m going to have to upgrade radar as well. Was able to run my older 3G with the new plotter. The Halo Harbour chandler has been waiting for almost a year to come in. Put my name on the waiting list, half of the upcoming order is already spoken for. Was hoping there was a fix before I spent 2500 plus bucks on a new one.

Thanks for all the feedback. I upgrade my plotter to HDS live last year, sounds like I’m going to have to upgrade radar as well. Was able to run my older 3G with the new plotter. The Halo Harbour chandler has been waiting for almost a year to come in. Put my name on the waiting list, half of the upcoming order is already spoken for. Was hoping there was a fix before I spent 2500 plus bucks on a new one.

You can use that radar with it. I have BR24 and it runs on mine.

If it comes up on the screen, but won’t transmit. It’s probably done. I would take the dome to Harbour chandler to test it if that’s possible

We replaced our 3G Lowrance with a new one last year and couldn’t get it to fire up. Turns out the young guy who wired it up had not done it properly. There are 2 wires that go to your positive terminal and he had put the small yellow one on the negative side. Once we had that switched over it works fine. BTW- the more experienced techie who fixed it said that we could probably sell our new unit over the price we paid for it new. They are not making these 3G units anymore and if you have an older plotter(like we have) then a new, more modern radar will not work with it. This means when your 3G radar goes you are on the hook for an entirely new electronics set.
What head unit do you have? My Carbon works with my old simrad radar and they are usually all compatible within reason, 10 years or so.

If it comes up on the screen, but won’t transmit. It’s probably done. I would take the dome to Harbour chandler to test it if that’s possible
Yeah this is exactly what’s going on, took it into HC and they confirmed it’s pouched. Still keeping an eye out for a replacement.

What head unit do you have? My Carbon works with my old simrad radar and they are usually all compatible within reason, 10 years or so.
Its a Lowrance HDS8. It’s working fine now that we have the wiring right with the new/old 3G radar.

Back