Lots of questions about buying a new welded aluminum boat?

Thanks for all the helpful replies, you've given me lots to think about.
The others that have brought up glass and argued over rivets can take it to another thread.
I've had a glass boat and I'm now wanting a welded aluminum.
cheers

I had a Thunderjet 21 that I recently sold. It was a decent little boat and I had no problems with the boat itself. It was powered by a Suzuki and it was a nice motor. Had tons of jam and was super quiet. After owning a metal boat my advice to you would be to spend the money on a boat that is built heavy and has a sharp entry . The thunderjets have since changed the hull so I'm sure the newer ones ride better. Mine was a 07 and it pounded pretty bad. It honestly made running in chop miserable . I got rid of it and picked up a grady for 22 grand less. Now I run home at 33mph with a smile on my face instead of 18mph pissed off that I spent 45k to get my teeth pounded out. Things change in 3 to 5 years so who knows what you will want by then but if you do go metal buy something heavy with trim tabs, a sharp entry and suspension seats. I'm only a 150 hour a year guy so take my opinion for what it is.

Thunder 21 best advice I have seen on here YET honest and upfront and couldnt agree with you more......

The small metal boats work for some people. They are great if you can pick your days etc. For me it was always in the back of my mind whether or not it was worth going out or not. If your a working guy you only get so many days to fish and that boat held me back. My fishing partner when I lived in Vic runs a skagit orca. He paid just a little bit more than I did for my thunderjet. It was almost embarrassing taking him out in my boat after running in his. Not trying to turn you off of getting metal. Just relaying my experience so you know what to expect.

Sorry to hijack the thread but while we're on the topic, what is the physics behind glass riding smoother/faster. More flex = more cushion ? Also, How much do air ride seats help when the waves are pounding?

Last edited:
Glass is heavier, and a good glass boat usually has a much steeper bow entry than can usually be achieved with aluminum.

A good suspension seat really adds to the comfort. A properly designed aluminum with proper use of trim tabs, engine trim, and throttle control will ride almost as well as a glass boat...almost.

When I got my 20 foot thunder jet I got the better seat ,and it is easier for me to put on the trailer at just about what ever tide ,my grade white was 208 with 225 Honda was the best boat I ever had but was very hard to put it in and out had to float it off and on

Don't want too sound too much like a hewes sales man just a so far happy ower. 2 other things I don't like about the hewes is they have a lot of spray foam in them that can get wet. And they are putting a lot of cosmetic paint on the current boats. The paint is nice looking and ok for fresh water. But I wouldn't want a painted boat for salt water use seems too cause more trouble then it's worth in all brands of alloy boats.
As the owner of a 2015 _painted_ Ocean Pro 220 ETHT, I can confirm that Hewescraft paint doesn't hold up well in salt water. I love my green boat, but the paint is chipping badly on the middle bow window/door; the seals in general aren't great, but that's the worst of the bunch. Only a two year warranty on the paint from Hewescraft. :(

As the owner of a 2015 _painted_ Ocean Pro 220 ETHT, I can confirm that Hewescraft paint doesn't hold up well in salt water. I love my green boat, but the paint is chipping badly on the middle bow window/door; the seals in general aren't great, but that's the worst of the bunch. Only a two year warranty on the paint from Hewescraft. :(

Don't know why they paint them at all. My glass boat spent a few winters in dry land storage next to a very large Alaska Cabin Al. boat made by an iconic BC Al. boat manufacture known for their extreme build quality and design. Unfortunately it had been painted by the factory. The sides of the hull was one massive mess of raised paint, paint cracks and bubbles full of thick deposits of white Al. Oxide powder (rust). It looked like crap which was unfortunate as it was otherwise a gorgeous boat I am guessing was in the $200,000. range. I like the look of the nice gray silver patina you see on unpainted aluminum boats.

Show me a 10 year old painted aluminum boat that looks good, (and hasn't been repainted).

Btw, old thread back from the dead much?

Show me a 10 year old painted aluminum boat that looks good, (and hasn't been repainted).

Btw, old thread back from the dead much?
13 years old...original silver and green paint. Welded aluminum. My other one is blue and silver and 5 years old and still mint. :) 20190625_134243.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread but while we're on the topic, what is the physics behind glass riding smoother/faster. More flex = more cushion ? Also, How much do air ride seats help when the waves are pounding?
Aluminum can not be bent into a compound curve the way that fiberglass can follow any shape put into a mold.The bow flare that most (not all) fiberglass boats have throw the water out and away so you don't get a wet windshield etc..Heavier rides better in glass or aluminum but aluminum can't match the complex shapes that can be achieved with fiberglass so they rarely ride as well as a fiberglass boat of comparable size and weight.Flex has nothing to do with it.The air ride seats are simply a shock absorber,work well on either boat.

OK all you engineering experts.......... The skin on planes is riveted. How about the internal beams/struts? Ever heard on the Edmund Fitzgerald? It broke in two on a wave.
The guy I referenced owned a welded AL River boat - different types of stresses on a river than getting serious air time out in the saltwater. Are they welds you can't see the same pretty welds you can see?

Lol

Airplanes incorporate rivets into the build process for time and $ reasons. Take a second to think of how many seams are found on an airplane...

I had a Thunderjet 21 that I recently sold. It was a decent little boat and I had no problems with the boat itself. It was powered by a Suzuki and it was a nice motor. Had tons of jam and was super quiet. After owning a metal boat my advice to you would be to spend the money on a boat that is built heavy and has a sharp entry . The thunderjets have since changed the hull so I'm sure the newer ones ride better. Mine was a 07 and it pounded pretty bad. It honestly made running in chop miserable . I got rid of it and picked up a grady for 22 grand less. Now I run home at 33mph with a smile on my face instead of 18mph pissed off that I spent 45k to get my teeth pounded out. Things change in 3 to 5 years so who knows what you will want by then but if you do go metal buy something heavy with trim tabs, a sharp entry and suspension seats. I'm only a 150 hour a year guy so take my opinion for what it is.
I had a 2012 21 foot Thunderjet Chinook as well, beautiful boat, for calm water, but as you say, that thing pounded your teeth out in rough water. That was my only beef about it really. Other than that I loved it. I sold it two years ago and I'm still looking for a new one, however, with the salmon restrictions now I'm not sure it's worth it. I can buy a lot of charters for the amount of money I'd spend on a boat.

I went with a few buddies on Wolf's boat last year, couldn't believe what a smooth ride it was and the second day we went out with him it wasn't exactly a smooth calm day.

Last edited:
Smaller aluminum boats are generally lighter gauge material and are made to be quite fuel efficient. This can make for a pretty rough riding hull. As far as the larger heavy plate welded boats go they can actually be designed to have the weight and hull form to compare favorably to a similarly sized fiberglass boat when it comes to ride quality. Everybody likes a beamy boat but many of the 24 and under aluminum boats have the aspect ratios out of whack and this also contributes to ride quality deficiencies. There is no reason an aluminum boat can not be made to ride well. It has more to do with design than material used. Just say no to paint, oxidized alloy is beautiful! Nice necro thread revival btw. Have you got your boat yet @Kinetic ?

I went with a few buddies on Wolf's boat last year, couldn't believe what a smooth ride it was and the second day we went out with him it wasn't exactly a smooth calm day.
when you coming again ???? LOL
you run one side me other mini derby???

Back