Lots of herring. Why??????

saltydawg

I,m seeing the most herring in Juan de Fuca and Haro straight I,ve seen in years. Does anyone know why??? Did the commercial fleet lay off this year? If they did this is fantastic. Acres of herring were in the shipping lanes August and Sept. Today off Ogden point 4-6" herring stretched from the Victoria harbour mouth to Clover Point. I don,t remember seeing this many for 20 years. Anyone have data???

DFO ordered them , to hopefully feed starving Orcas who they think will starve to death rather than swim out to other food sources.

Don't have that area handy - but do have SoG:
soG Herring.jpg
Current spawning biomass estimated to be at a historic high level, although large uncertainty in recent years.
Survey index in 2017 and 2018 shows a decline from 2016 however this decline is not picked up by the model b/c the model fits an averaged trajectory through the spawn index values of the 2010s.
I.e., there is insufficient information to determine if the decline from 2016 to 2018 represents a decline in spawning biomass.
The model estimates above average recruitment in most years from 2010-2018 with recruitment deviations showing larger recruitment of age-2 fish than expected from the stock-recruitment function.
The increasing trend in estimated spawning biomass since about 2010 coincides with a decline in estimated natural mortality that began in the late 2000s.

Estimated spawning biomass in 2018 is 113,425 t (SB2018, median) or 82.3% of SB0.
SB2018 is greater than the LRP of 0.3SB0 with a 99.6% probability.

I,m seeing the most herring in Juan de Fuca and Haro straight I,ve seen in years. Does anyone know why??? Did the commercial fleet lay off this year? If they did this is fantastic. Acres of herring were in the shipping lanes August and Sept. Today off Ogden point 4-6" herring stretched from the Victoria harbour mouth to Clover Point. I don,t remember seeing this many for 20 years. Anyone have data???

Maybe this is helping;

CLICK;

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/foru...-creek-vancouver-herring-spawn-success.69314/

CLICK; 1 billion herring hatch;

https://vancouversun.com/news/local...-exceeds-1-billion-surprises-conservationists

I believe they are doing this in numerous locations now.

Obviously it's because Chinook Salmon are extinct so there's nothing to eat them all. Don't tell the DFO, they'll use it as "evidence".

Back