Lorne Parker's melting pot.

I was impressed with the over-kill, last forever style of construction! I would have loved to spend the time to build such a thing for myself but I don't plan on pouring too much more lead, supplied myself and friends for years to come , so that being said my hour jobby pot covers those bases.

The threaded valve you've built looks pretty interesting. Im sure it will work, I just wonder if there will be some troubleshooting...(clogged threads, or it could slow production, depending on the volumbe being poured, having the to thread and unthread each time you want to open the valve).

All n' all, hell of a metal worker. You could weld a circle around me! BUT in my defence, I work in tool and die, fab is just for fun ;) Could build you some new forming dies for that press though! haha

Again, looking forward to the posted results!

Lorne must loose alot of Cannon Balls if he needs a commercial melting pot to keep up to his needs... lol

Its nice to see some people are still building things to last... Seems today, we are always throwing away cheap junk after we use it a couple times...

Nice job... Im sure you'll have green and weed free lawn when Lorne's done with it...

Last edited by a moderator:
well i made it down to Sculpins shop to pick up the pot today. Sweet shop, sweet rig, Nice guy and one badass melting pot. I mean the thing has to weigh 50 lbs and you can probably melt 300 pounds in the thing! Awesome work man. Thanks again!!

Gonna try it out on the weekend

fondue first...at the very least make some chowda.....lol...:).:cool:..holmes*

Would you like some carbon and flux with that sir LOL:D.

Thanks for the kind words Lorne. It was great meeting you in person finally. Enjoy.

Would you like some carbon and flux with that sir LOL:D.

Thanks for the kind words Lorne. It was great meeting you in person finally. Enjoy.

So Sculpin, you built this for Lorne free of charge and you had never met him before? Wow, that's nice of you. I think you should receive the SFBC Stand Up Guy award!

So Sculpin, you built this for Lorne free of charge and you had never met him before? Wow, that's nice of you. I think you should receive the SFBC Stand Up Guy award!

I don't deserve any award. Besides it was fun making it. I hope to shoot a few ducks with Lorne and my son this fall and I'm getting a handful of sinkers for hali fishing. Met a new friend. That is good enough for me.

Cheers,
John

Well we ran over 350lbs of lead through that puppy today. It worked flawlessly!. A few beers, a couple ceasers, 22 15lb balls and 10 or so 1 lbers made fora great after noon. Thanks to owen for hosting and providing the molds, laura for the drinks and Bruce for the supervison!

Pics to follow.

Lorne

Cool stuff. I was a little worried to tell you the truth. How did the valve work? Can't wait to see the pic's.

We used owens tiger torch to speed up the lead melting process. worked like a hot damn. 150 lbs melted in under 10 mins. Then we kind of did a 1 guy hold the mold and one guy operate the pot. I'll tel you one thing, its defintely a process where someone can get hurt if you arent paying attention. Things were going so smoothly you can become complacent and make a mistake pretty fast. We opened up a mold before it had set and half of it poured out all over. Could have been bad. But no injuries this time! We made 22 15 lb balls, and a dozen or so 1 lbers in about 2 hours. We took a break when it started snowing like a ******* but other then that it was golden. I love it! If anyone wants to melt some lead LET ME KNOW! and I'll make time.

The boys hard at work
IMAG0152.jpg

Pot o lead
IMAG0149.jpg

Opening up the valve
IMAG0148.jpg

Pouring a ball
IMAG0150.jpg

No wrinkles looks like a perfect run! Looks like the threaded bolt works nice better make one before sculpin gets a patent on it.

Cool. I'm glad it worked and I sure hope lot's of folks benefit from it. Nice balls by the way lol!

honeslty the threaded bolt is genious! Very good control over the flow. When the lead got cold during the snow storm and the break we took. it seized up as we thought, but as soon as it warmed up it, it was good to go as the lead just melted off the threads. We had wrinkles in our first few balls as they molds werent hot. So we just dumped them back in to the pot. We found that was key to keep the molds warm and the wrinkles were almost non existant.

That's really good production for a couple hours work. I was going to make it a bit smaller originally but it looks perfect on that burner stand and the capacity is obviously good for pouring a whole bunch of downrigger balls in one session. Let me know how the valve holds up over time and a few sessions through it as I'm getting flack from some guys on another forum saying it is the weak link etc. I need to prove them wrong lol.

hahahaha. You can easily melt 500 lbs in that thing at one time if you have a burner that can hold the wieght. The production had alot to do with Owens set up. The tiger torch and having 2 15lb molds sure makes things quick. The chute where everything comes out of is probably a bit much for smaller weights because of the volume and speed it comes out. We didnt try it for the 1lbers. We just pooured ignots in the cupcake tins then melted those with a smelter for fishing weights you can get online

Back