Looking for used truck buying advice

huh ? why would you need a 5th wheel hitch ? he has a boat and can buy a cargo trailer. its not an RV. you dont need a 5th wheel hitch for a cargo trailer. mine gets pulled behind my SUV fine along with the boat.
i have a 12 foot by 6 foot tall version of this -
Did ya even read the original post? He tows a 5th wheel and his boat, and you come from outer space with SUVs and cargo trailer recommendations. I get that you’re from the big city, but an SUV just ain’t gunna do it.

huh ? why would you need a 5th wheel hitch ? he has a boat and can buy a cargo trailer. its not an RV. you dont need a 5th wheel hitch for a cargo trailer. mine gets pulled behind my SUV fine along with the boat.
i have a 12 foot by 6 foot tall version of this -
Because he has a fifth wheel?

Diesels are more expensive in repairs then gas engines. You can buy a reman long block gasser for the price of injectors in some diesel applications.I mentioned the 6.0L gasser in an earlier post, loved it, but I’m running a duramax now. I will never go gas again, but I’m bias. The engine exhaust brake is why I went diesel. I frequent Kootenay Pass fully loaded. Diesels, if maintained properly, run along time. Don’t like preventive maintenance? diesel will cost you big time. Don’t chip them for more hp or torque, they don’t last as long IMO and early failures can occur. Oil change costs are higher, but not by much. I good fuel conditioner doesn’t hurt either.
Yes but you use it as it was intended which is what I said earlier , A friend of mine sold his one GMC truck as it needed injectors HOLY **** 1500 per injector for a diesel , thats insane.. and dont get on the topic of the turbos on those trucks. As i said before if your towing 10,000 lbs plus 20 times a year and doing some long hauls then he yeah id get rid of my gas truck. IMO the diffence between a 250 and 350 since 2010 is really just the rear suspension throw in some air shock and your good to go for towing juice the suckers up before ya haul. I can tell yeah that 6.2 gasser I have if you put the pedal to the metal it will throw your head back has great torque and it goes fast....
No matter what anyone buys if you dont look after it they go to **** between gas a diesiels has always been a thing 15 years ago when gas was twice as much,it was the way to go but now being virtually the same price your not saving much really, especially when these guys chip a diesel put HUGE tires on them and lift them. my buddy spent 15 grand in new tires a lift a chip,suspension all around and gets a nice 25 liters per 100 km now...im at 18 per 100

Reactions: NDT
Echo the 6.0 Chev is a good possible. I like the 2011 or newer Ford F350, and I bought a 2015 which has a slightly better engine and engine brake. Smaller tank for the diesel Fords 2011-2016, can't even put $100 in but I get pretty good mileage towing my boat or with the camper and I need to get out and stretch a couple times a day anyways. Engine brake is nice and if you have big bucks the safety options on the 2017 or newer are great. Plan to tow and carry the camper at the same time this summer when we go to Tofino, as rooms are $350+ a night, my son and I will sleep in the boat and the rest of the family in the Camper.

Tough to find a good truck but if they don't need a specific package like a crew cab with lots of payload and camper package it isn't too hard, if you are patient. I went diesel since the Vancouver Island premium for used trucks made flying to Williams Lake to pick up a diesel look cheap. I would put up a wanted add, lots of people with $1000 payments on lease or purchases rethinking their lives right now. F150's are a good bet with tons of towing capacity and thousands coming off lease these days with amazing safety.

This is from the Ford F250 F350 Facebook group. Guy ended up selling it this week but must have taken a bath. Guy on Used Victoria selling a SRW Ford F350 King Ranch for 85k used! Where this is DRW.

"Due to the pandemic, my job has been shut down and my need for a super duty is gone as well. I love this truck so much, but the cost right now is too much. My current career as an Instacart grocery shopper doesn’t support this super duty lifestyle.
Before I go to my dealership to get absolutely screwed on trade in...would anyone be interested in buying my 2019 F-350 STX Dually Diesel. 6.7 powerstroke. FX4
2019 F-350 STX Dually Diesel. 6.7 powerstroke. FX4
32,000 miles, no accidents
Purchased new in October 2019
Additions:
Custom leather Katzkin seats
Custom interior blue floor lights
5 year ceramic coating on paint
Horn Blasters Train horn
Bed Rug
Color matched camper shell
$49,000 which is what I owe on it.
St. Louis MO area."

Last edited:
I have had my personal diesel (Duramax) since 2009 when it was a company truck for me....disliked the old diesels, bit took less than a month to know I would be keeping this one. The factory performance is more than I could ask for, but would never do the upgrades so many do. That is usually when issues show up.

I like performance, this truck gives it for a 8,000+ pound beast. I would never go back to a 6.0 gas, it is just to bland....

Sane with the 1500's. The 5.3 gets you there and back, but to me it is a bit of a slug. Tease yourself sometime and take a 6.2 for a drive. Totally different truck and a pleasure to drive!:cool:

I have had my personal diesel (Duramax) since 2009 when it was a company truck for me....disliked the old diesels, bit took less than a month to know I would be keeping this one. The factory performance is more than I could ask for, but would never do the upgrades so many do. That is usually when issues show up.

I like performance, this truck gives it for a 8,000+ pound beast. I would never go back to a 6.0 gas, it is just to bland....

Sane with the 1500's. The 5.3 gets you there and back, but to me it is a bit of a slug. Tease yourself sometime and take a 6.2 for a drive. Totally different truck and a pleasure to drive!:cool:
My work truck is a 6.2 and it hauls butt. Haha

Considering a slightly newer truck – hoping for some advice on what to look for and what to stay away from

I am seeking some advice because I am not really a truck guy, I have had the same old 1991 GMC 2500 4x4 for a number of years. It really is a nice, dependable truck that served me well for the limited use I had for a truck while living in the city – it was insured for the Summer, hauling the boat and 5th wheel to the island for fishing in June and back home in September. The rest of the year it mostly sat in the carport.

Since leaving the city, I find that things have reversed – the car sits most of the time and the truck is suddenly the daily driver - and for that, the 1991 just is not all that comfortable – they didn’t even bother with headrests back in those days!

I don’t have a huge budget – 25K would be max and would prefer to stay under 20K.

I think I would like another ¾ or a 1 ton. My boat can be towed by anything with 5,000 lb towing capacity, but traveling logging roads with a load of firewood is hard on a truck.

Considering my budget, should I bother or am I better off living with what I have?
Sounds like a great truck! With limited access forseeable future and 3 mill on liability off road ,and higher unsafe load fines .can you afford to step up .find another one .save with collector plates .

Because he has a fifth wheel?
Truth be told, I no longer have the 5th wheel. I had it in order to have a place to stay when fishing WCVI during the Summer, but I live on the island now. However, I am not excited about towing the boat with a crossover, and think neither the crossover, nor the alu trailer would be very durable on the logging roads.

Yes but you use it as it was intended which is what I said earlier , A friend of mine sold his one GMC truck as it needed injectors HOLY **** 1500 per injector for a diesel , thats insane.. and dont get on the topic of the turbos on those trucks. As i said before if your towing 10,000 lbs plus 20 times a year and doing some long hauls then he yeah id get rid of my gas truck. IMO the diffence between a 250 and 350 since 2010 is really just the rear suspension throw in some air shock and your good to go for towing juice the suckers up before ya haul. I can tell yeah that 6.2 gasser I have if you put the pedal to the metal it will throw your head back has great torque and it goes fast....
No matter what anyone buys if you dont look after it they go to **** between gas a diesiels has always been a thing 15 years ago when gas was twice as much,it was the way to go but now being virtually the same price your not saving much really, especially when these guys chip a diesel put HUGE tires on them and lift them. my buddy spent 15 grand in new tires a lift a chip,suspension all around and gets a nice 25 liters per 100 km now...im at 18 per 100
A shop here rebuilt injectors for 250$ a piece 2 year warantie

I seem to remember those expensive injectors were fancy Bosch products.
Luckily mine were done under warranty some fifteen years ago with zero issues since.

Brutus, I’ve come to realize it’s not worth arguing and trying to convince people the value in having a diesel truck. I’ve run 2 different diesels over the past 14 years and haven’t put a dime into them other than routine maintenance, which isn’t expensive at all. Even as a daily driver they are a superior truck in every single aspect.

Brutus, I’ve come to realize it’s not worth arguing and trying to convince people the value in having a diesel truck. I’ve run 2 different diesels over the past 14 years and haven’t put a dime into them other than routine maintenance, which isn’t expensive at all. Even as a daily driver they are a superior truck in every single aspect.
Agree with you 100%, ad 2 big gasser before my first diesel, never looked back after that, my wife almost new murano cost more on gas then my diesel, unless I am towing 10000 pounds

I just bought a used 2006 AWD LTZ Suburban 6.0 V8. $5000/ for towing a 24 foot fiberglass 6000 pound boat (engine and gas incl).

It has 300,000 km on it so I know its almost broken in. Aside from the common issues with the 6.0 it hauls great. Easy maintenance, and best bang for buck. I want the best truck for the cheapest dollar for towing. Previous truck was a 2013 GMC ext cab. Didnt like abusing the newer truck, the used option suits me better.

That would have been nice to know before my buddy dumped his truck as he was quoted a **** ton to get it fixed so he just let it go ... Im all for a diesel never said I didn't but cost has to warrant use and the above said statements is true ..All trucks are good but to spend 120 grand on a new diesel compared to 60 grand I dont see the benifit...

That would have been nice to know before my buddy dumped his truck as he was quoted a **** ton to get it fixed so he just let it go ... Im all for a diesel never said I didn't but cost has to warrant use and the above said statements is true ..All trucks are good but to spend 120 grand on a new diesel compared to 60 grand I dont see the benifit...
You are little at both ends of the spectrum there Roy.

Last Feb I bought a brand new 2019 a 3500 Dramax SLT, leather, sunroof it’s got it all fully loaded for $75,000 no interest. Just have to do your home work.

But I will say you do have to justify owning one, if it’s something you don’t need then don’t own it. I’m considering getting away from them as I just don’t tow anything that heavy anymore. Since I sold the Wellcraft the new boat is less than half the weight and our holiday trailer is only a 26’ with no slide and we don’t travel with it that much really I don’t need the diesel any longer. Up keep on a gas is less for sure. I am considering one of the new 6.6 L with 10 speed transmission. I like the torque specs on them I think they would fit the bill for me.

Last edited:
85k for a 3500 slt Sierra diesel, Denali is 95k

There's a lot of diesel trucks on the road that don't need to be. Sales people are very good at convincing shoppers they're not serious guys unless they diesel up. Every time I've stepped onto a lot to look at trucks the first question I'm asked is "Will you be towing anything?" - yes answer gets you an immediate trip to the diesel dept. Takes a lot of self confidence for a guy to resist the suggestion that they might not be using the right tool for the job.

There's a place for diesel for sure. I've had them in my work fleet and there are times when they are very much the right tool for the job. Up to each owner to figure out how often that will be for their situation.

Back