Looking for advice regarding built-in fishbox

dance a jig

I may be looking to add a fishbox into a boat cavity, and accordingly looking for advice as to making a good fishbox. Currently, I consider Polyethylene or Aluminum the top candidates for a construction material because of finished look and cost. For Polyethylene, I was thinking of a rectangular water or holding tank with top side cut out and trimmed out with starboard, and for aluminum it would be a custom weld. Need opinions as to which material for box, what material to insulate with, and which cleans up easier. Any thoughts on the matter are appreciated. DAJ

I'm planning about the same thing. Pompanette seems to have a pretty good latching hatch you could use for access. West Marine has it. I'd like to know if you find a complete unit on the market that bolts right in without having to have to build it from scratch? I want to add one to the center line of my 228G in front of gas tank...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tempress also makes hatches and deck plates in a variety of colors/sizes...avl in Victoria @ Trotac for mainland guys Nikka/Richmond - remember we like to buy local.I spoke to my supplier about re: built in fish tub... they say bc there are so many boat designs - most ppl make their own.They do have a poly tank(35"x14"x 12'') - you can cut top off it & drill 2 holes in the end for handles -Total cost $190

I had a custom aluminum one for my last boat which was great because it fit perfectly but I found it pretty tough on the fibreglass so what I've done for my new boat is just removed the top and hinges from a 94 quart Igloo cooler which works great because it's already insulated and it fits perfectly where I need it.
Good luck

I added one to my boat when I replaced the floor and stringers. Built from scratch with fiberglass and foam. Very happy with the end result, but it is a royal pain to clean as the hold is much bigger than the hatch. As it is behind the gas tank, I was able to run a drain straight to the bilge, so hand bailing water is not necessary. I know fiberglassing is not everyone's bag,but your design is only limited by the space you have, and your imagination (ie, sloping, dimensions or bootleg compartments...err, I mean bait compartments)

How's the smell in the bilge when you get fish slime/scales and other fish parts sitting there? I've found they really start to cause odours in my current boxes unless I'm on them with the raw water wash down every few hours. Mine drop out thru seacocks. I have to wonder about this stuff sitting in your bilge.

Fish slime in the bilge- phewy :eek: :eek:

On my former boat, the fish box also drained into the bilge, but I always used a liner - hence no smell. On my current boat the fish box drains directly to the outside. :D :D

Simple custom welded aluminum box with an insulated fishbag might be the answer. Easier to clean after you lift the fish/ice out thats alreeady in the bag. You might want to buy the bag first so the fabricator knows the dimensions for the box.

What would be a better fishbox material and why if one were to choose between aluminum and polyethylene, as both are a reasonable cost. DAJ

Back