Long time poacher STEER gets 6 months in jail

used fn to do his dirty work, unpaid debts everywhere. scum

Unfortunately an offender like this is never going to stop. It is too easy to make big money illegally. A jail sentence such as he received is not a deterrent to his activities. Should the province get his properties, it will slow him down, but he will just continue, in the hope to recoup his losses. It is sad to say but the only way he will stop is if he is incapacitated either by a very long term sentence, or health issues

Most likely is just a small cog in wheel with organized crime. Apparently this is very large problem across mainland and island.

as bad as Steer is - he's not the only shady character out there on the water:

It was not uncommon for lodges to load their freezers and in the event guys did not go home with limits to pull some fish out to send them home with.

There's a lot that i would define as a pretty grey area too with catch and cooks.

It was not uncommon for lodges to load their freezers and in the event guys did not go home with limits to pull some fish out to send them home with.

There's a lot that i would define as a pretty grey area too with catch and cooks.
This issue " Fishery officers found in 2019 that fish caught by the lodge’s patrons, at their request and sometimes at the direction of staff, were prepared by the kitchen and fed to guests contrary to the Fishery (General) Regulations section 35(2)." I feel is not keeping up with the times. If you have fished in many countries around the world . It is an expected and approved part of the fishing experience to take your fish into the hotel/resort kitchen and have your fish cooked for you and your buddies.

I just read it and was just about to post it....you beat me by 2 minutes! ;) Good, but depressing article.

I think DFO is almost hinting at the need for vigilante conservation:

Shaun Tadei, a senior DFO officer based in Nanaimo, where Steer lived until recently. Tadei is unsparing in his assessment of the man he’s spent years investigating: “He’s the worst poacher that we know of on the West Coast.” But he’s as incredulous as everyone else at Steer’s audacity, and his talent for persuasion. How, he wonders, has Steer avoided the kind of rough justice aggrieved fishermen have been known to mete out? “We don’t understand how this person has been able to operate, and rip off people for so long, without someone doing him serious harm,” says Tadei. “He’s literally ruining people’s lives.”

Back