Local Vancouver fishing for Chum

Pippen

Local Vancouver Saltwater fishing for Chum

Hey Guys,

Chum is one species I have never targeted in the salt although I do recall catching one a few years ago.

Was just talking to a buddy this morning (and another one is likely lurking on here reading this post...Hi Trevor...haha :p) and he was talking about trying for them as we're not quite prepared to shut down til the feeders get going. ;) I know there are still springs and ho's around but just wanted to check if anyone had some insight.

I know zippo about targeting them locally in the SALT or anywhere for that matter. Depths, where, when, flashers, bait, spoons, plastic, trolling fast, slow.......pretty much any info you can share???? :p :p

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
you can use some of the sockeye gear, the mb or mp15 shade of pink seems to work best of that lot. probably not worth totally targeting them but put down gear that can catch a spring or coho also. the purple haze works for them also. I've caught them on bait but pretty rare. you go almost dead slow.

check out the brown's bay thread they have a lot of specific info on the chum fishery up there and most is relevant down here. they are fun to catch, hit like a freight train.

cheers

Down here in WA state, some of the guys who target them in the salt do so very near their terminal migration areas (e.g. a little outside of the streams/rivers). The most common technique I've seen is a bobber with a fire cracker size herring about 6' down. Near the entrance to streams, they travel in fairly large schools near the surface and bobber fishing gets the job done.

Pippen, do you trailer your boat? I didn't think you do. If you can, put in at Kilby and head upstream on the Harrison and float jigs. That's what most do in the Valley, but I assume you want Chuck? That's a tough one, only spot I know is Browns Bay, would love to hear of other salt areas where they concentrate. Good run in the lower Pitt heading to Hyde Creek.

this is the saltwater fishing forum ya know, lol::eek:
mouth of the fraser is a good bet, there are chum runs up the seymour , lynn and indian river so along west van, i do see people fishing them out front of the mudflats in the fall, those people are mostly anchored and casting or mooching

there is a huge run up the squamish also so gower could be worth a shot, plus you have a chance at some northerns coming down that way and headin up the squamish. when i was guiding at sewells years ago we used to take charters up that way on a regular basis, fishing roberts creek, camp bing and gower pt.

I do really well with chum out of nanaimo. Catch them when in season in the same spot every year. They are usually fairly close to shore and in he 80 - 120 feet of water range, use the same thing every year with good success. Purple hot spot with crushed onion glow on the other side and a yellow tail spoon with a 6 foot leader. This all being said i run around 2 knots depending on currents. i think finding were they school and hold up is the key in the solution.

Pips...purple people eaters, sox gear, army trucks, purple hazes, Michael Baits in Purples all work well.

Sandheads, the North Arm and the Bell produce the most consistent results for those who have tried...including myself. slack tides are key.

They haven't shown off West Van yet.... I figure the 3rd week of October will be the peak of the run in local waters.

this is the saltwater fishing forum ya know, lol::eek:

Yup....and why my original post references local saltwater. ;)

I do really well with chum out of nanaimo. Catch them when in season in the same spot every year. They are usually fairly close to shore and in he 80 - 120 feet of water range, use the same thing every year with good success. Purple hot spot with crushed onion glow on the other side and a yellow tail spoon with a 6 foot leader. This all being said i run around 2 knots depending on currents. i think finding were they school and hold up is the key in the solution.

Pips...purple people eaters, sox gear, army trucks, purple hazes, Michael Baits in Purples all work well.

Sandheads, the North Arm and the Bell produce the most consistent results for those who have tried...including myself. slack tides are key.

They haven't shown off West Van yet.... I figure the 3rd week of October will be the peak of the run in local waters.

Thanks everyone for the info.....kind of along the lines of what I heard with respect to gear and recalled older threads talking about the North Arm as well.

Damn-- Seadna's bobber idea is something I have to try-- 20 yrs ago, we used that technique for coho along the kelp at Campbell River.. really exciting fishing!

#8 - 10 weight flyrod with floating or intermediate sinktip line off estuary beach. Chartruese, blue, purple, & red flies work. Have also caught them floating the fly under an indicator. Make sure you have a lot of backing.

#8 - 10 weight flyrod with floating or intermediate sinktip line off estuary beach. Chartruese, blue, purple, & red flies work. Have also caught them floating the fly under an indicator. Make sure you have a lot of backing.

Will be out on the salt....not on a beach looking at it. ;)

May be worth trying that along a few spots on shots with my fly gear.

Mmmmmmmmmm nothing like a tasty Purple striped Tiger trout ready for freshwater on the Barbie........mmmmmmmmm soft and mushy, washed out peach coloured flesh, mmmmmmmmm :cool:

yeah I know some of them are ok when smoked............

Mmmmmmmmmm nothing like a tasty Purple striped Tiger trout ready for freshwater on the Barbie........mmmmmmmmm soft and mushy, washed out peach coloured flesh, mmmmmmmmm :cool:

yeah I know some of them are ok when smoked............

"Freshwater" being the key to your disdain. :p I dislike freshwater....to the point I bathe in saltwater. ;)

Not quite ready to hang up the gear and wait for the 'feeders' after Xmas. ;)

"Freshwater" being the key to your disdain. :p I dislike freshwater....to the point I bathe in saltwater. ;)

Not quite ready to hang up the gear and wait for the 'feeders' after Xmas. ;)

Have a confirmed report from the Cap and South Arm this morning. south Arm, 2 Coho and 1 Teen White Spring on a Grady White..

Back