David's Korsch's latest Vancouver Report

fishin_magician

Winter Spring fishing in the Vancouver area is most definitely very good for this time of year.

David Korsch specializes in winter springs, and is probably the top rod for winter feeders.

I know of many keepers which aren't in this report--I think it's time to go F I S H I N G! :D

The PREDATOR'S PEN Date: February 24th/2007.

An update of the local saltwater fishing scene for Vancouver To : Saltwater Angler

By: David Korsch (Predator Charters)
E-mail: davek@dccnet.com Web Site: www.predatorcharters.com
Phone: (604) 329 - 8642 Fax: (604) 886 - 1928

Hello Fellow Anglers

Boy I have been neglectful with my e-mail reports this winter. I must blame it on a lot of different things going on.....not the least of which was the installation of new engines onto my boat. After several delays lasting from late November until early February, the task is finally completed. The new engines are a pair of 175hp Mercury Verado 4-strokes.

I do have to take the boat out of the water for a week or two later this winter/spring for bottom painting etc..., but I think I'll wait for that period of slow fishing when we change over from the winter fishery to the springtime fishery off S. Bowen. This slow period is usually found during the last week of March or the first week of April. Prior to this, the winter fishery should remain very good, and after the switch over, we should be fully into the good fishery off S. Bowen.....it's just that we usually have a period of slow fishing during the transition between the two fisheries......a perfect time to do maintenance.

As of right now, the winter fishery is still going very strong. In fact, it has been one of the best (if not the best) fishery since I began keeping detailed records in the early 90's. While I haven't been out much in January or February due to the engine install, and some other commitments, my associates have been experiencing some great fishing at times. Catches of several legal fish in a day have been pretty common, and during the past month the larger fish finally moved in. There have been several over 20 lbs taken at various locations in Howe Sound, and this past weekend the first tyee of the winter that I know of (31 lbs) was boated up at Defense Islands. This large fish followed a day where two boats landed 7 legal fish between them at the same location, and lost other legal fish as well as releasing a few undersized ones.....definitely some pretty hot action!

Lately, Defense Islands has been the best location for bigger fish in Howe Sound, but the usual spots off West Bowen could turn back on at any time. Vancouver Harbour has a few also, but those seals make fishing there an exercise in frustration much of the time. For those looking at travelling a bit further, the Gulf Islands have been very good lately. I've had a couple different reports in the past week or two, an in each case, the anglers got into several legal fish. This past Friday (yesterday) a buddy landed four legal, and six undersize during an afternoon of fishing, and I'd take that kind of action any day. Too bad the weather forecast was for strong winds (that never really materialized), so I went up Howe Sound to Defense Islands instead. We hooked into four decent fish, but only managed to land/release one fat undersize of 61 cm.....some days you just have bad luck when it comes to tangles etc... and the bigger fish just get away.

Now that the new engines are on the boat, and I've basically finished my work in Horseshoe Bay, I'll be able to partake in the fishery on a more regular basis - I am pretty much available for charter any day. At this time my only confirmed commitments are Monday February 26th, Tuesday February 27th, and during the Abbotsford Tradex Show - the first weekend in March (2nd, 3rd, and 4th).

As always, feel free to pass this information along to any associates whom may appreciate the report. If you have any questions, or wish to book a charter, e-mail me davek@dccnet.com), or call me at (604) 329 - 8642.

Tight Lines, and Best wishes
David Korsch
Predator Charters
www.predatorcharters.com
davek@dccnet.com
(604) 329 - 8642

Back