Local Flooding

Ok. Draining Sumas Lake was a bad idea and they were not prepared well enough.

What about:
Hwy 1
Hwy 3
Hwy 5
Hwy 99

The deaths and damage the government's fault for not being prepared? ... I think whatever occurred is beyond government disaster planning and may have a wee bit to do with the changing climate.

why was draining sumas a bad idea, reports from homesteaders in the early 1900's reported massive flooding each year before it was dammed. There are report now going back 30 years that it needed to be reengineered and that's understandable since the army core of engineers did it back in the 1920s. Abbotsford needed help funding it and I can't blame them hard for one city to fun that kind of infrastructure.

Also as I recall and have read the coquihalla construction was massively rushed.

Then these this fancy slide show showing how much deforestation has happened. Honestly a bit surprising

Your right blaming government is easy we are the government are we all made these choices. Its what are we going to do moving forward that matters.

why was draining sumas a bad idea, reports from homesteaders in the early 1900's reported massive flooding each year before it was dammed. There are report now going back 30 years that it needed to be reengineered and that's understandable since the army core of engineers did it back in the 1920s. Abbotsford needed help funding it and I can't blame them hard for one city to fun that kind of infrastructure.

Also as I recall and have read the coquihalla construction was massively rushed.

Then these this fancy slide show showing how much deforestation has happened. Honestly a bit surprising

Your right blaming government is easy we are the government are we all made these choices. Its what are we going to do moving forward that matters.

I was poking at the rather simplistic headline that the BC Floods are not climate change.
Sure some areas could have had improved infrastructure. However, some of the flooding/damage has nothing to do with any infrastructure/engineering.

I was poking at the rather simplistic headline that the BC Floods are not climate change.
Sure some areas could have had improved infrastructure. However, some of the flooding/damage has nothing to do with any infrastructure/engineering.

Wow! News flash if you would have listened to climate scientists for the last 30 years you would already know that the problem is that we have tons of infrastructure that isn't designed to withstand climate crisis fueled weather events.

Sounds like things are pretty crappy on the east coast right now too. As a matter of fact, worldwide, we have been getting a pretty steady stream of 1 in a 100yr weather events. I wonder if there is a common connection?

Sounds like things are pretty crappy on the east coast right now too. As a matter of fact, worldwide, we have been getting a pretty steady stream of 1 in a 100yr weather events. I wonder if there is a common connection?

more moisture in the atmosphere?

more moisture in the atmosphere?
and extreme drought in many other parts....
It's all business as usual. Nothing to worry about! :rolleyes:

It was also on the news that HWY 8 won't be repairable. That area is a beautiful part of the province that's going to be disconnected from the road network for a very long time.

Wow! News flash if you would have listened to climate scientists for the last 30 years you would already know that the problem is that we have tons of infrastructure that isn't designed to withstand climate crisis fueled weather events.
Before We Lost the Lake is filled with evidence of the seemingly futile hundred-year human struggle to tame Sumas Lake by draining it of water and turning it into fertile prairie, a never-ending battle to build and re-build dikes and infrastructure in the face of recurring flood episodes of varying magnitudes going back centuries. Sumas and areas south of the United States border have experienced so-called 100-year floods in 1908-1909 and 1932. Floods ranked as 35-year events occurred in 1945, 1949,1955,1975, and 1990. At least a dozen others are on the record

I’d say all that water from melting polar ice and glaciers has got to go somewhere.
No scientific papers or links to back this up, just my opinion.

Before We Lost the Lake is filled with evidence of the seemingly futile hundred-year human struggle to tame Sumas Lake by draining it of water and turning it into fertile prairie, a never-ending battle to build and re-build dikes and infrastructure in the face of recurring flood episodes of varying magnitudes going back centuries. Sumas and areas south of the United States border have experienced so-called 100-year floods in 1908-1909 and 1932. Floods ranked as 35-year events occurred in 1945, 1949,1955,1975, and 1990. At least a dozen others are on the record
Never a good sign when a peer reviewed paper comes out that say's your source is one of the worst of worst when it come to climate change denial.

Balance as bias, resolute on the retreat? Updates & analyses of newspaper coverage in the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia and Canada over the past 15 years​

Abstract​

Through this research, we systematically updated and expanded understanding of how the print media represent evidence of human contributions to climate change. We built on previous research that examined how the journalistic norm of balanced reporting contributed to informationally biased print media coverage in the United States (U.S.) context. We conducted a content analysis of coverage across 4856 newspaper articles over 15 years (2005–2019) and expanded previous research beyond U.S. borders by analyzing 17 sources in five countries: the United Kingdom (U.K.), Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the U.S. We found that across all the years of analysis, 90% of the sample accurately represented climate change. In addition, our data suggests that scientifically accurate coverage of climate change is improving over time. We also found that media coverage was significantly less accurate in 2010 and significantly more accurate in 2015, in comparison to the sample average. Additionally, Canada's National Post, Australia's Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph, and the U.K.'s Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday (all historically conservative outlets) had significantly less accurate coverage of climate change over this time period than their counterparts.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac14eb

Never a good sign when a peer reviewed paper comes out that say's your source is one of the worst of worst when it come to climate change denial.

Balance as bias, resolute on the retreat? Updates & analyses of newspaper coverage in the United States, United Kingdom, New Zealand, Australia and Canada over the past 15 years​

Abstract​

Through this research, we systematically updated and expanded understanding of how the print media represent evidence of human contributions to climate change. We built on previous research that examined how the journalistic norm of balanced reporting contributed to informationally biased print media coverage in the United States (U.S.) context. We conducted a content analysis of coverage across 4856 newspaper articles over 15 years (2005–2019) and expanded previous research beyond U.S. borders by analyzing 17 sources in five countries: the United Kingdom (U.K.), Australia, New Zealand, Canada, and the U.S. We found that across all the years of analysis, 90% of the sample accurately represented climate change. In addition, our data suggests that scientifically accurate coverage of climate change is improving over time. We also found that media coverage was significantly less accurate in 2010 and significantly more accurate in 2015, in comparison to the sample average. Additionally, Canada's National Post, Australia's Daily Telegraph and Sunday Telegraph, and the U.K.'s Daily Mail and Mail on Sunday (all historically conservative outlets) had significantly less accurate coverage of climate change over this time period than their counterparts.

https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/ac14eb
Interesting as this is a book.

Reimer’s Before We Lost the Lake reminds us of the deep cultural and natural history of Sumas Lake far beyond the story we know so well—the engineering feat that drained it and the agricultural life that has been built over the last century on the former lake-bed. His eloquent and pointed work recalls the many meanings of this place over time through the memories of Sem:ath, Nooksack and Sto:lo elders, the field notes of Royal Engineers, the property records and voices of settlers, and modern sources.”
—K. Jane Watt, PhD, British Columbia History magazine

Why don’t you guys set up a separate thread to debate climate change? This thread was about the flooding situation, news and updates. Take this sh*t somewhere else before this one joins the Covid thread.

Couldn't have said it better myself. This thread was started to share information on the floods and the unfortunate loss of peoples property and in some cases, their lives. We are not going to turn it into another useless, never ending debate about climate change in this forum. A couple of you turn this into your own personal shouting match and it's time you went and bought each other a beer and talk it out in person. Maybe if you drink enough beer, one of you might convince the other that your point of view is the right one, and finally win the match. Apologies for the sarcasm, but it's late and this constant theme is wearing thin.

Brian

Anybody watch the news last night ? CBC said that there will be a need for more fishing restrictions next year due to flood damage. I don’t know how they’ve determined this. Maybe they got a call from their FN contacts or Save the Whales to plant the seed now. I suspect that there was damage to stocks and habitat. But these comments are what stir up the shiit. Can you imagine if they put in more restrictions. We’re phuckked.

Anybody watch the news last night ? CBC said that there will be a need for more fishing restrictions next year due to flood damage. I don’t know how they’ve determined this. Maybe they got a call from their FN contacts or Save the Whales to plant the seed now. I suspect that there was damage to stocks and habitat. But these comments are what stir up the shiit. Can you imagine if they put in more restrictions. We’re phuckked.
Maybe a more urgent solution is to stop all the FN gill netting that’s still happening right now. How’s next year’s closure going to fix this year’s run?
Anyway, we’re digressing here but their is the time to pressure the feds to prioritize the hatchery production and habitat restoration as part of the special flood aids. It’s time to write a few letters and start a petition.

Back