Local Flooding

Just an aside to those who claim the flood of 1948 and a couple of others are the same as this one, no, they are not.

In 1948, and other notable years, the floods were in the Spring and the result of a heavy snowpack, a cool Spring and then a heat wave in May and/or June.
I remember the flood of 1948 as we went out after the worst of it in my Grandfather's little gillnetter and saw a dead horse floating down the river. It was in an upright position and its head bobbed as it floated towards us.
Made a big impression on me and I recall it clearly, even though I was but three years old.

This is not a Spring run-off situation, but a completely different extreme weather event.
There will be more of them going forward.
Physics is physics.

Make sure people aren't using false equivalencies when recalling other flood events in BC.
Deniers use them all the time.

Take care.

Just an aside to those who claim the flood of 1948 and a couple of others are the same as this one, no, they are not.

In 1948, and other notable years, the floods were in the Spring and the result of a heavy snowpack, a cool Spring and then a heat wave in May and/or June.
I remember the flood of 1948 as we went out after the worst of it in my Grandfather's little gillnetter and saw a dead horse floating down the river. It was in an upright position and its head bobbed as it floated towards us.
Made a big impression on me and I recall it clearly, even though I was but three years old.

This is not a Spring run-off situation, but a completely different extreme weather event.
Physics is physics.

Make sure people aren't using false equivalencies when recalling other flood events in BC.

Take care.
Well said, Dave. For some, the Earth is always flat and Covid will go away on its own and Physics is what FaceBook says.

What happened and the plan going forward.
Sumas Prairie area in eastern Abbotsford

Mayor Braun and City Emergency Officials November 18 4PM Press Conference​

Physics is physics.

Take care.

The 1990 Flood was in the fall. See the attached article.

The 1990 Flood was in the fall. See the attached article.

I know, but I don't think I used 1990 in my post.
That one was much blamed on the Nooksack river blowing out I seem to recall.

I do recall that shortly after I moved back to CR in 1990 there was one of those one in a hundred year rain on snow events that caused much flooding here on Vancouver Island. That was November I think.
Remember when Sayward was flooded out and the Tsitika River reached "torrent" levels which caused huge trees to be swept into the top of the canyon, effectively blocking off access to fish?
An M&B crew used a small yarder to clear that out. Glen Venus organized that I think.
That event also blew out the newly gravelled spawning channels on the Campbell that had just been built because Hydro shut down the Diversion dam and sent tons of water to the Salmon river in order to protect the Campbell River watershed.
Our Mayor went after Hydro big time for that and they replaced the gravel in the end.

Ironically, the previous "one in a hundred year" event had happened the previous November, 1989, which also caused much flooding up around this area.
Two events a year apart both called one in a hundred year events and neither associated with any annual snow melt and run-off scenario.
The times are changing.

In 1955 I was supposed to travel by bus to Quesnel to spend the summer with my Grandfather but the spring floods that year wiped out the highway so I ended up flying up in an old DC-3.
I recall the horrible taste of the chlorinated water in Quesnel as the water supply was compromised.
Grandpa got a short job where he (and I) parked at a gas station on the west side of the Fraser just opposite from where the Quesnel river enters it as the river had backed up a creek there flooding out a couple of houses and the gas station. The owner wanted someone there to keep an eye on things.
I taught myself to swim by wading out into the field behind the station and then launching myself shoreward while dog-paddling.
I advanced from there until I was comfortable swimming in deep water.

Been through a few flood events in my life, but this one is by far the worst I've ever seen.
Feel very fortunate that the brunt of it happened south of here, while at the same time feeling extremely bad for those in the Fraser Valley who have endured so much these past few days.
Tough times for sure.

Take care.

Last edited:
On the news this evening they said BC is trying to source Bailey bridges from all over North America.

for some reason I thought the military was suppose to have Bailey bridges in preparation for the big earthquake that we are overdue to have.

feeling extremely bad for those in the Fraser Valley who have endured so much these past few days.
Tough times for sure.

Take care.

I'll second that,
Truly unbelievable at the extent of damage over such a large area.
I feel for all affected, it will be weeks, months, and longer before damage can be repaired to some kind of resemblance of before this event.
Extreme and heartfelt thanks goes to all in the efforts to help where, what and when they can.

Baileys aren't made any more there's surplus around but WW2 was a long time ago; there's a company in the UK that makes similar but we won't see any of those here any time soon.

oh yeah its not surprising it seems the plan for the big one was to "have the community come together and self rescue"

the abbotsford link does not work. I would like to donate some money to help those in need. a link that works please

the abbotsford link does not work. I would like to donate some money to help those in need. a link that works please
Here's the link to the donations page for the Abbotsford Disaster Relief Fund. Our small group of neighbors and friends have decided to support this group as part of our year-end charity donations. They could use all the help.

If you still have a problem with this link, please go to the City of Abbotsford's website and scroll down to the Donations section. It will bring you to this page.

They are also asking for blood donations. If you can, please contact the Canadian Blood Services and see if they still have an urgent need. Unfortunately, money cannot buy them blood in an emergency. They rely on us to support them.

Blood

In many parts of the Fraser Valley, blood donations are needed. Donors can visit the Canadian Blood Services website for details.

Last edited:

"There's predicted 80 to 100 millimetres of rain coming next week beginning Tuesday,'' he told a news conference on Thursday. "That's what I'm concerned about if we don't fix those breaches.''

The Nooksack River in Washington state has forced the flood level up another 15 centimetres, Braun said, though a pump station is pushing out 2.2 million litres a minute.

"We are still not pumping anywhere near the amount of water out of the system that is coming into the prairie across the border," said Braun.

Here's the link to the donations page for the Abbotsford Disaster Relief Fund. Our small group of neighbors and friends have decided to support this group as part of our year-end charity donations. They could use all the help.

If you still have a problem with this link, please go to the City of Abbotsford's website and scroll down to the Donations section. It will bring you to this page.

They are also asking for blood donations. If you can, please contact the Canadian Blood Services and see if they still have an urgent need. Unfortunately, money cannot buy them blood in an emergency. They rely on us to support them.

Blood

In many parts of the Fraser Valley, blood donations are needed. Donors can visit the Canadian Blood Services website for details.
Thank you, I was able to donate to them

Joe

Back