Living in Comox, working in Campbell river

What do you do? What does wifey do? I live in CR and love my town but will tell you honestly our shopping and restaurants suck by comparison of courtenay / comox. Courtenay comox definitely a lot more stop and go traffic but still a ghost town by Vancouver standards.
CR real estate is cheaper ( for now ) but crazy booming right now. But having lived 8 years in Vancouver I feel your pain. I would rather live in a van down by the river than that place ever again. I even hate visiting there. Pm me if you feel more comfortable. I know a lot of people and have lots of resources and contacts.
My wife works in administration for a government agency; I work on commercial telecom systems and I'm the chief editor of a print magazine. The writing work is easy to move but doesn't pay enough to have multiple mortgages and boats and motorcycles and so on; it'd be pretty thin if I just ran on that (although I fantasize about the amount of time and sleep I'd have if I did it). The telecom work is the easiest way to apply my other skillset, which isn't really specific to telecom, but they'll generally pay for it and I don't have to relocate to the US to get work with companies like Telus or Shaw, which I would have had to do if I wanted to keep working with some of my old clients who aren't telecom, but need people who can to the type of troubleshooting I am actually good at.

So essentially, I can go where I can find a big telecom setting up commercial operations, but I would like to do it with minimal disruption to my wife, and leaving her options as open as possible to continue working for the agency she does. They're pretty good to her and try to be flexible about her location and career path but they only have so many offices.

It would be a bit of an adjustment for both of us but since about half my work wouldn't change at all, and the other half is already something I only keep doing because the first half only pays half my bills, it's easy for me. I just want to make it easy on her as well. She's also fine with moving to the island, but it's a lot more likely she'd be able to work out of Duncan where her outfit has an office, or possibly Nanaimo. But either might be a couple of years off.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot of good intel out of this thread; really appreciate all the advice. I'm definitely reading Courtenay as a better fit for my wife and it sounds easily commute-able to CR.

My wife works in administration for a government agency; I work on commercial telecom systems and I'm the chief editor of a print magazine. The writing work is easy to move but doesn't pay enough to have multiple mortgages and boats and motorcycles and so on; it'd be pretty thin if I just ran on that (although I fantasize about the amount of time and sleep I'd have if I did it). The telecom work is the easiest way to apply my other skillset, which isn't really specific to telecom, but they'll generally pay for it and I don't have to relocate to the US to get work with companies like Telus or Shaw, which I would have had to do if I wanted to keep working with some of my old clients who aren't telecom, but need people who can to the type of troubleshooting I am actually good at.

So essentially, I can go where I can find a big telecom setting up commercial operations, but I would like to do it with minimal disruption to my wife, and leaving her options as open as possible to continue working for the agency she does. They're pretty good to her and try to be flexible about her location and career path but they only have so many offices.

It would be a bit of an adjustment for both of us but since about half my work wouldn't change at all, and the other half is already something I only keep doing because the first half only pays half my bills, it's easy for me. I just want to make it easy on her as well. She's also fine with moving to the island, but it's a lot more likely she'd be able to work out of Duncan where her outfit has an office, or possibly Nanaimo. But either might be a couple of years off.

Anyway, I'm getting a lot of good intel out of this thread; really appreciate all the advice. I'm definitely reading Courtenay as a better fit for my wife and it sounds easily commute-able to CR.

I have a friend who does Telecom installation for a living; I have another friend who does more computer related low voltage type stuff. LAN type stuff. He does installs for banks and medical offices getting all the computers all in line. I don't quite understand that stuff but, alls I know is he is desperate in need of good guys, and he makes very good coin. Pm me if you like.

Like I said, when the wife and I wanna go shopping or have a good meal, we go to Courtenay. Someone above said something about Courtenay having a better " feel". I begrudgingly agree. It just simply has more culture. CV very proud of some of their farm to fork concept restaurants, breweries etc. Best of luck

Nanaimo is getting worse exponentially every year. I keep seeing "Happy Koi Rainbow Bus tour" driving foreign investors around to buy properties. The traffic 5 years ago was 2-3 minutes at a light at times. Now there are spots that see 10- 15 minute delays during peak hours. Wish the government would stop playing poker chips with the housing market, its just making a mess where once was perfect.

Nanaimo is getting worse exponentially every year. I keep seeing "Happy Koi Rainbow Bus tour" driving foreign investors around to buy properties. The traffic 5 years ago was 2-3 minutes at a light at times. Now there are spots that see 10- 15 minute delays during peak hours. Wish the government would stop playing poker chips with the housing market, its just making a mess where once was perfect.
Yeah, that's not good.

If your wife is possibly going to work in Duncan and live in Courtenay, the commute would be two hours at minimum as you would have to go through Nanaimo during rush hours.

I will chime in as someone that lived in both and also did the Courtenay/CR commute. I think CR is way nicer place to live, but south of town only. We lived off York Road (Brent Road) and the Stories Beach to Willow Point corridor was great, especially the commute - driving beside the ocean every morning, amazing sunrises, mountains, eagles, it has everything. Much of south CR is tiered as well so lots of ocean view/mountain view options to live. I'd say anywhere from Rockland south. With Courtenay/Comox, it was farms and floods...often smelled like it too, real good ocean access wasn't right at your doorstep etc etc Guess depends if you are all about the outdoors, or all about the retail...that said, had no issue with shopping CR as well. Just another guys point of view!

Last edited:
Back