Live Target Herring Lure

Hey all,

Just curious if anyone has tried these in Vancouver/Richmond waters or along ECVI/WCVI yet? I ordered 2 each of there 4.5/5.5 & 6.5 Silver/Green Herring models and will be giving them a workout this weekend, wondering if anyone else has done the same.

I have attached the link to check out there video, the lure has great action, should be interesting to see how they work with some scent on them behind the rigger.

Cheers!!

Live Target Herring.jpg

Video of the lure in action.

http://www.livetargetlures.com/products/saltwater/blueback_herring-swim.php

I have used them. They come with two treble hooks, I removed the front one and tried it, the action seemed to stay the same, so I removed the back one and am using a single hook. The action remained the same in my eyes. I have caught cohoe and springs with them. They move in the water like a swimming herring, not a wounded one, I have used them standing alone and behind a flasher and a dodger. When I was using the single treble I foul hooked a couple of cohoe, but with the single all have been in the mouth. I believe you need to vary both the speed and direction, by either turning or lowering and raising the cannon ball, to give them a bit of a wounded look. I have not used scent at this point. They also have a rattle sound, which may be effective.

I have a couple and have caught a few springs and many coho. I just run them flasher free. Change action by zig zag trolling and up and down when going through bait balls.

I started a thread about these a while back....because they were supposed to be really hot up around Campbell river way.

The actual responses were not favorable.

IMO I don't think they will outperform any other good lure....considering how pricey they are......

I started a thread about these a while back....because they were supposed to be really hot up around Campbell river way.

The actual responses were not favorable.

IMO I don't think they will outperform any other good lure....considering how pricey they are......

Yes Seafever I have had a couple in the water for at the least 24 hours and not even a strike. I wont toss them in the garbage because im not sure if they are solid gold inside considering the price :p

-KK

Yes Seafever I have had a couple in the water for at the least 24 hours and not even a strike. I wont toss them in the garbage because im not sure if they are solid gold inside considering the price :p

-KK
obviously they worked ...at least you and 4 others were caught :D

Last edited by a moderator:

-KK

How pricey are these things? I didn't see and pricing info on the site...

How pricey are these things? I didn't see and pricing info on the site...

They run $18 for the 3.5", $20 for the 4.5", $22 for the 5.5", and $25 for the 6.5" Retail pricing. I got them for 15% less than retail, but they are still pricey. The detail on these are amazing, and the quality seems excellent, just in case anyone wonders.

If they work they'll be worth the money, once I figure out the best way to present them and what works the best I'll update this thread.

Should be out this weekend, maybe Friday and will post our results on here.

Cheers

Using scent sounds like a great idea-I wonder how they'd work behind a diver it could give them a bit more action as they move through the column.

I believe you need to vary both the speed and direction, by either turning or lowering and raising the cannon ball, to give them a bit of a wounded look.
Yes that makes good sense they really look like something that should be cast & worked carefully-the best action in that video is from someone who really knows how to make them move.

Using scent sounds like a great idea-I wonder how they'd work behind a diver it could give them a bit more action as they move through the column.

Yes that makes good sense they really look like something that should be cast & worked carefully-the best action in that video is from someone who really knows how to make them move.

Seeing they sink at two rates, 1/2 foot and 1 foot a sec, making them swim erratic and up and down shouldn't be that hard. Going to try mooching with one by hand and trolling two behind a rotating dummy flasher off the ball. Hopefully that will attract them, I'll let you guys know what worked best.

A friend of mine just returned from Milbanke and reports outstanding success trolling these lures both Coho & Springs-8' off the downrigger and a single Siwash on the back-I spent 20 minutes on the phone this AM while he raved about them.

I think the same guy that Dogbreath is talking about was telling me about them in Berrys today said they worked awesome for coho in Millbank.

Back