Live bait set-up for lingcod

My boat biggest is a…43 on a swimbait. They’ll crush anything. I feel your odds improve of catching biggies using live bait. Dragged up lots of hitch hikers. I’ve eaten some 30’s myself and honestly, just wasn’t good. Too thick. I feel that 8-15 lb range of fish (ling or salmon) is perfect to cook and eat. I don’t catch big fish anyways so it works out perfect.
The bigger they are, the worse they taste.

brought home a couple upper 30’s one trip and I’ll never do that again. Super fun to catch though! Around 8-10 lbs is excellent eating.

More or less agree with the above. . .but don't use rockfish for bait, they don't do well to the up and down action that live bait fishing imparts, as they have a swim bladder. There is definitely a learning curve fishing live bait, the action and the rigging. It excels in some situations, and other times probably isn't necessary.
fb

IME it's not the perfect weapon you think it is... Really more hassle than it's worth and you'll spend more time ******* with it than fishing.
Dock perch, perfect size, get a bunch then use a big single . Let the ling take it slow and when it swims away then set it.
Location really is the key to hooking up , drop offs in 80 to 150 ft.

Dock perch, perfect size, get a bunch then use a big single . Let the ling take it slow and when it swims away then set it.
Location really is the key to hooking up , drop offs in 80 to 150 ft.
How do you rig them?

You don't need live bait to haul up a monster. I caught one over 40lbs two weeks ago on a 4oz delta swim bait. But yeah I see the fun in using livies.
Gulf islands live bait out fishes anything 10 - 1. Those days where people are complaining it’s fished out , I quietly go home with my limit 9 /10 times . Sand dabs are best

Back