little qualicum river fishing??

islander55

hey there i was just on the fresh water regulation website for little qualicum river fishing for salnmon but could not find anything talking about if spin casting is a good to go or just fly fishing could someone help me out for that thank you a million

Pulled this from the reg
http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/docs/1315/fishing_synopsis_2013-15_region1.pdf

No fishing from the falls in Little Qualicum Falls Provincial Park downstream to the hatchery fence, Dec 1-May 31
All tributaries closed all year
The standard 100 m closure around a fish rearing facility has been reduced to a no fishing area from the hatchery fence to signs
approx. 35 m downstream
Fly fishing only, Sept 1-Nov 30 (where open, including tributaries)

So it's currently fly only.

Also may want to check out this link. there's only C & R until Oct 1 for salmon.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region1-eng.htm

fly fish only and its catch and release for everything in that system. if you want to keep fish you can go to big Q where its 2 springs under 62 cm fly fishing only untill october then it is 2 under two and two over fly fishing only again. Come October 15th the gear guys are allowed in there to get their kill and it will be a crowded gongshow.

If you look at page 88 of your freshwater guide, there's a definition of "Fly Fishing" You can use a spin cast rod, but there can be no weight, or float attached...Pretty impossible to fish that way

The Little Q is fly fish only Sept 1 - Nov 30. Pg 18 of your guide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Unless your fly has wire in it, giving it some weight, but yeah, still hard to get it in the zone with braid or mono. Might as well use a sink tip,

If you look at page 88 of your freshwater guide, there's a definition of "Fly Fishing" You can use a spin cast rod, but there can be no weight, or float attached...Pretty impossible to fish that way

The Little Q is fly fish only Sept 1 - Nov 30. Pg 18 of your guide.

Bryce Gillard
Fishery Officer
Comox

thanks for the info , what kind of flys are good to use for chinook salmon, im new to fly fishing and im going to be using a light fly rod ment for trout haha with my friend salmon slayer. so we will see how that goes !

coho buggers were working for me yesterday and today the coho were stacked in there pretty good along with the springs but i didnt target them. green and white, blue and white and pink and white all worked well just have to get your line down deep enough to bounce off their noses and **** them off.

Back