Little odd operation today... Maybe shed some light?

bcbassfishing

Took my 18ft misty river out today for a shake down test. Besides deleting the alarm for the oil injection being deleted on the fly ( pre mix only now) the boat seems to pull really hard to the port side under heavy throttle. My kicker is on that side and my girlfriend but combined weigh allot less then me. Boat sits perfectly level at low rpms and at idle? any thoughts on what\ why or how to correct this? Fighting the wheel at speed sucks.

Took my 18ft misty river out today for a shake down test. Besides deleting the alarm for the oil injection being deleted on the fly ( pre mix only now) the boat seems to pull really hard to the port side under heavy throttle. My kicker is on that side and my girlfriend but combined weigh allot less then me. Boat sits perfectly level at low rpms and at idle? any thoughts on what\ why or how to correct this? Fighting the wheel at speed sucks.
Your trim tab on your outboard probably needs adjustment.

Attachments

• tab_adjustment_2df84d5ca725c145bfbf69ae08926b698aea26fd.jpg
    tab_adjustment_2df84d5ca725c145bfbf69ae08926b698aea26fd.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 32
With it only happening at high rpms - it sounds suspiciously like the torque trim tab sacrificial anode under the fin to me. There should be an anode that you can turn and then tighten in position to counteract the torque on single outboards. Assuming it is still there and not corroded away - just loosen the bolt and turn it two or three notches in one direction or the other. If it gets worse - you're going the wrong way.

Now thats a posibility ... the power trim on the stick quit at the boat launch today... so I didn't play with that a whole lot after I got it to get on step in a hurry. Not used to power trim lol
I was referring to the trim tab (see above pic), not the trim/tilt operation of the motor. But if the trim/tilt wasn't working properly, fix this before adjusting the trim tab. If the trim/tilt is stuck down it will make the steering very heavy up on the plane. Adjust the trim tab for optimal operation at cruising RPM. It's a bit of a balance.

Last edited:
very interesting... I'll have a look at it. Never actually played with that and kinda figured that would have been set up by the previous owner as I havn't removed the engine and this was up and running before I purchased it. Thanks guys I'll keep ya posted. What I find. going to be a bit before I get any more water time. O'l girl sure scoots though would be nice to not fight it like a have 5 drunk guys hanging on the port side rail. GPS was at 48mph and still had throttle!

Quick update before I get to re test... It looks like its in line with the prop shaft though offset to the port side of the engine. Paint is even on the tab so yes it is in good shape, the boat has never seen salt water as it came out of Alberta. Will do some playing around on next days off to try and correct this.

Easy ...get a heavier girlfriend ....Problem solved ;)

Thats usually an easier upgrade than trying to do it the other way around. :):cool:

Put your cannon balls not in use in the anti roll type Scotty ball holders and place them all on the side of the boat you need the extra weight on.
as much as ballast would be the easy fix lol... theirs another issue that is causing a handling problem. To be continued!

You said there was paint on the tab. Depending on the outboard those are often zink and should not be painted.

Do you have cable steering? If yes, it's normal for your boat to pull to port side until trim is adjusted. Once trim is adjusted (considering you know how) then she should go straight. If not, adjust your trim tab fin.

Get the trim angle of the motor sorted first...if the motor is tucked in deep it will make the steering heavy and sluggish.

Confirm that the motor is height is appropriate. The motor anti-ventilation plate should be approx 1" above the bottom of the hull when the motor is trimmed level.

Once those items are addressed see how the steering feels

If that little trim fin is turned to port, then it will be pulling to port. I would straighten out that fin under the cavitation plate first (cheap and easy) before you do any more diagnostic work.

Back