Ling at Nootka questions

c-dawg

I'm making a trip to Nootka in a week for the third consecutive year. The first year we did good on salmon, the second year we did good on salmon and halibut. This year I want to add some lingcod to the catch.

Down in the States we've been using live sand dabs (sole) to catch lings. Is that done up north? If so, are sole readily available (in catchable numbers) in Nootka Sound? If not, what is a standard go-to method for catching lings?

Also, I studied the charts and thought I had a decent game plan, but then I discovered that DFO closed the areas to catching all finfish I was going to target. So, where are some general areas to target lings right out of Nootka Sound? I'd like to avoid running all the way to Esperanza if I can. I can come up with some targets on the charts if I have a narrowed down general area to look in. For instance, I see a ton of pinnacles around Bligh Island, but if that's not a very productive area, I don't want to waste my time researching and fishing it.

I'm not looking for anyone's secret-squirrel spot, and don't expect you to post numbers here for all to see. I'd like a general area to start in that I can research on the charts. PM me if you'd like.

Thanks.

There are not a lot of lings inside the sound in the timeframe you are looking at. Look south and around Bajo being mindful of the newly closed area's just announced. If you did well on Hali's at Nootka you are already better off than most of us so I'd not spread those spots around. LOL

Caught very many Lings trolling for Salmon; Halibut as well. I just about always run one rod deep.

Troll a salmon rod just off the bottom in 130-150ft and you are likely to pick up some ling outside the sound. The farther from the entrance you go the more likely you'll find them. We had 5 in one day last week.

Back