Ling, and Rock

thisandthat

Anyone having any luck with ling and rock off the shore? Seems to have stopped biting....Well that and I'm pretty sure I'm getting worse at this fishing thing.
Tried several spots between the gorge and Cordova Bay.

Buzz bombs, octopus, and other random things.

i've never caught a rock fish or lings off shore, though i have caught some steelhead from shore at cordova bay with jerkbaits

Fishing from shore for cod is tons of fun, the problem is you're not the only one who thinks so. I always try to find "hard to reach" areas. This at least partially insures that the fish have not been fished out. Check google, or just explore some of those really "scary" to get to areas and give it a go. I guarantee your luck will change. As long as you aren't afraid of losing a few lures while learning the bottom. Try switching from regular...hook on the bottom, to the "assist" method....tying the hook to the top of the lure. You will lose far less gear this way and the fish don't seem to give a damn. Win win.

good luck.

Rod.

Thanks,

I'm trying to get away from people (AKA not the break water, although I like how deep it is there).
I like the hook on the top idea, thanks.

Fishing from shore for cod is tons of fun, the problem is you're not the only one who thinks so. I always try to find "hard to reach" areas. This at least partially insures that the fish have not been fished out. Check google, or just explore some of those really "scary" to get to areas and give it a go. I guarantee your luck will change. As long as you aren't afraid of losing a few lures while learning the bottom. Try switching from regular...hook on the bottom, to the "assist" method....tying the hook to the top of the lure. You will lose far less gear this way and the fish don't seem to give a damn. Win win.

good luck.

Rod.

Ya, nothing, keep going out with some guys and getting beat. Someone was telling me ling are busy eating salmon right now.

I typically have a large hook sitting out with bate for the whole time and also using buzz bombs or something similar and casting out and along the bottom.

A hook sitting on the bottom with still bait isn't all that great a rig for Ling Cod.....unless your bait is a herring and it's flopping around in the current on your leader.

You'll do better if you can get a moving lure to go right past them. They are for the most part "ambush" predators.

They generally like rocky reefs and structure usually with some good tidal action,

Just fishing off any old shore will not produce legal-size Lings usually. Unless you've got a place with some nice fast dropoff there....

Sandy-type shores and beaches will be non-productive.

Lings aren't busy eating salmon right now...they're busy eating whatever they can get their teeth into just about, including smaller Lings than themselves.

They like to eat small Rockfish and kelp greenlings as well.

There's probably only a few shores around where you have all the right structure, tideflow, depth at your disposal.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back