Letter in CR paper about halibut quota

Who cares that is not the issue at hand.the weekend warrior gets a handful of trips a year compared to a guide who takes people fishing every available day possible.most boats I know will take as many as 4 clients a trip.the clients are just sport fishers that don't have a boat or choose to hire the knowledge of a professional to help max the odds for there few trips a year.Most of us go out with our buddy maybe a third some times.Of course thier boats will log more fish than we do.whether the letters #rs are correct or not, has no influence on the issue that is before us at this time.Seems to me just to be a ploy to try to divide the sporties unity.My 2 cents.

Jencourt is absolutely right Ken--- 80% of the clients are Canadian, not aliens. It is an attempt to "divide and conquor " and to try to get us fighting amongst ourselves. I strongly suggest that you go onto the SFI website <www.sfibc.com> and look at thier statistics. The stupid DFO allocation policy is the problem-- not who catches the fish within the recreational sector.

The fellow who wrote that article is a Director of the Pacific Halibut Management Association:
PHMA

Their role: "a fishermen’s association, which represents over 90% of commercial halibut licence holders in British Columbia"

So, if the political battle of reallocating quota is won, this organization directly represents those who stand to lose. No doubt they'd have a strong contrary opinion on this!

But the fact that they've even taken notice that something is brewing is a good sign.

On another note ... I see DFO is updating their recreational fishing survey, 5 years after the 2005 one. Here's the 2005 results:
2005 survey

Skimming through the results, I was a little surprised by how small the BC saltwater sector is compared to the rest of Canada, in both people #s and fish weight. And halibut wasn't at that time in the top 3 of fish caught in BC. So...if it seems like we're not a priority to DFO, that might be a partial explanation. In the big picture, are we small potatoes?

This same letter has already been posted on the board, certainly an "interesting" view of the issue.

http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/showthread.php?14637-The-Ardent-Angler-is-off-base-on-halibut-allocations&highlight=ardent+angler

Oppps, I missed it, damn. Funny how it comes out in the CR paper, where Jeremey lives two weeks after it is posted Canada wide.

Jencourt is absolutely right Ken--- 80% of the clients are Canadian, not aliens. It is an attempt to "divide and conquor " and to try to get us fighting amongst ourselves. I strongly suggest that you go onto the SFI website <www.sfibc.com> and look at thier statistics. The stupid DFO allocation policy is the problem-- not who catches the fish within the recreational sector.

Oh I am not questioning who catches it, just curious as the WHERE he come up with his numbers.

No question on the divide and conquer system, same as how the Anti's are trying to get the archers against the gunners in the hunting.

Cheers

SS

Back