leg in the water

trophywife

Crew Member
so i got my new motor installed in fall, runs great blah , blah, blah.... my concern and still have not got the FIRM answer i was looking for.

problem: when the motor is fully tilted, i still have 2-3" of leg sitting in the chuck.

my previous boat that did the same thing need a new bottom case after sitting like this for one season.

i have been told, "this is not a problem."

also,, lower the leg so the anodes contact the water. Why should i kill my anodes sooner than later?

and, lower the leg all the way down and leave it. (my boat is in the water dam near year round)

if it is bobbing in and out the water i will get even faster corrosion....

not pissed yet,, just confused...

DO I GET INSTALLER TO ADJUST FOR MY COMFORT OR?

The correct conventional installation would generally place the ant ventilation plate on many engines about even with the boat bottom when the engine propeller shaft is parallel to the boat bottom. I would start there, determine if your motor is mounted at the correct height. If it is then I would say no problem, if not then I would say potential problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

so the problem isnt that motor is installed at the right or wrong height.performs awesome even in hard banked turns, may be installed too low yes...... the problem i have is that the leg is sitting in the water.. slightly..

If the leg is in the water when tilted then you would think that either A the motor is mounted to low or B the leg length is incorrect for the transom height. Wouldn't one of those be the reason the leg is in the water?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Assuming the cavitation plate is level or slightly above the bottom of the boat the motor is installed to spec and not the installers problem.You could try to raise the motor a hole and see how it performs but if the gear case might still hit the water. You have no choice but to leave the motor tilted down so the anodes can do there job.

Put 250 ft of anchor chain up front. That should fix it up.......

Sounds like you need to move some weight off the transom, another option if its an outboard get a jack plate or a set of wedges to shim up the bottom of the motors bracket so it will trim up high enough.

I have the same problem. Installed correctly, but at max tilt about 2" of leg sit in the water. Electrolysis is eating the leg that sits in the water. I'm thinking of just leaving it down and keeping an eye on the zincs.

I would just leave it down... You would be better of for the problem you are asking about. Your trim tabs are zinc'd up too right?

If the leg is at all in the water the anodes have to be as well or you will have electrolysis issues .

If you want your leg out of the water you will need a jack plate. Check out bobs machine shop. Time to break out another grand! Up side is you will have another cool toggle switch to play with.....

The whole point of zincs is to sacrifice them rather than your leg. I would leave the leg down enough to engage the zincs. Cheapest option all way around. I leave mine fully down.

I've seen boats with dual 4 strokes that had the portion of the leg that was in the water with full tilti painted with some sort of anti corrosion paint/ primer. Can't attest to the effectiveness of that.

Leave the leg in the water or take the boat out of the water there is no in between
Repair guys love to see motors half out of the water and corroding away

I tilt mine out completely but my mercs have a big zinc on the mount that's always underwater

Leave the leg in the water or take the boat out of the water there is no in between
Repair guys love to see motors half out of the water and corroding away

Correct my buddy who is certified mech shakes his head everytime he sees leg partial in the water ... as electrolysis goes to the weakest point even if you have a base zinc (sorry fishtofino) i asked him the same thing... he pointed out to me you have that little bit in the water it gets zapped he even showed me a leg one time the threads where the SS bolt goes into were dissolved and he deemed it "toast" for the price of zincs its the least expensive thing but you will drop 100 bucks in gas a day but a 30 buck zinc for 6 months????

his rule was if it cant come completely out then leave it in ALSO you dont get all that salt build up in the inner draining all the water all the time.

just lift it up every week and clean it with a brush if your worried about growth....easy

Good luck Wolf

thanks for all the input fellas,, going to talk to the installer for sure. i would like it raised and also i can add a lil weight to the bow.. brand new motor and this should not be a worry for me... at- all... i will report back.. ccb thanks for the pm.

I have always left my main completely down while docked. Zincs are checked and cleaned each month when I haul up onto the ramp to service my kicker, grease the main and bleach the hull. There are so many reasons why you will have less problems with the leg down in the water. I do get a few barnacles that are able to grow around the crevices of the power tilt mechanism...but just scrape them off in the fall when the boat comes home on the trailer. Other than that no corrosion and no worries. Also a leg sticking out of the water behind your boat is a nice big target just waiting for another boat with an out of control operator to smack. Seen that every year. What a drag to show up in the morning to fish and see a bent up prop or damaged gearcase.

Last edited by a moderator:
i am going to try the tilt adjust that i just learned about.. gotta make sure the cowl does not hit the bulkhead, one notch at a time,,, will post results. may have to loose a rod holder set...

on another funny, i found a five pound zinc shaped like a fish with a 12' wire and alligator clip. Clip it on and let it swim at the dock!!

on the negative side of your battery YES but dont forget to pull it off as it will wrap around prop, also have to clean everyonce in a while as taking it out of water it gets a build of crystallized salt on it no matter what you do you have to clean and maintain your stuff...

Back