LED Light test

Please see thread titled "Pirates Den Fishing" for further response to this thread.

Thank you.

Keep you informed I will!! Please see the Winter Harbour thread for our last trip.!! I have moved the Pirates DEN- LED's-from the test position to MY TACKLE BOX !!! I believe them to be an extremly effective lure-if placed in a good quality cuttlefish hoochy,owner supplied hooks, swivels and line. They were very effective on Springs and Hali's with a 38 to 42 in tie. If you need more info go to the LED rigging thread or drop me a PM and will be glad to help with your rigging questions. May take a day or so as I will probably be fishing.
Moving on- I'm not a Hali guy but did really well with the PD Halibut squid-(7 inch)-added a 7/0 treble, sponge in front of the light-injected an anchovy,herring/smelly jelly concoction through the rubber into the squid sponge, baited it with salmon belly and gave it and my gravol a whirl-In short order we had 2 very nice lings and 3 hali's and 2 other LED converts!!
New Item-Pirates Den owner-Michael responded very quickly to my request for a hoochy that would fit the LED's better; and be larger than the cuttlefish-I was thinking alone the size of a "Turd". I thought I might see it next year-but I got 2 of the prettiest hootchies you have ever seen. Pearl Translucent with a killer
"glow in the dark" speckle. They don't have to have a light-they look that good. Easy to rig and the neat thing is they seem to take the colour of the light you insert. Yeah-yeah I know sounds like an advert-only tried them for an hour and caught and released 4 springs. Testing required!! from what I've seen so far they should be able to be run at your preferred tie lengths and with normal line sizes. I tied with 60lb test because I thought the 7" length would need the stiffness to create the right action on a 40 inch tie. That was not the case-the hootchy does not require that heavy a line at all. I will be stepping down to 40lb test. This hootchy should be in stores this week as well as the new UV lights. Have a few rigging pictures of all the various things I have tested this spring. Will let you know how the larger hootchy makes out over the coming weeks-then I'll just go back to my regular trip reports. Oh yeah the new hootchy is the "Pearl Glow Wench"-I like Pearly Girlie- I have high hopes for her-let me know if you have any rigging suggestions. The" Pearly Girlie" is the middle hootchy in the second picture, the third picture shows the rigging-I would drop the Golf Tee bead and replace with a large glow bead the same as the others. That's it from me

Attachments

• DSC01064.jpg
    DSC01064.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 148
  • DSC01066.jpg
    DSC01066.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 127
  • DSC01067.jpg
    DSC01067.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 164
SF

A question:

Do you think it is the flashing light that is the key or might it be the electrical charge that is emitted or is it a combination of both?

I'll be trying the light this summer at Esperanza and in the SJF.

I personally think it's the light. I test them by wetting my finger and touching the two metal prongs to close contact just as the salt water does. There is no sensation not even the slightest tingle. In bright light they don't seem that spectacular-but darken the room just a little-throw the hootchy in a glass of water and it is really neat-the uv light in a purple haze cuttlefish is spooky. In bright sunlight and say 50 feet they are no more effective than say a good cuttlefish of the same make. If it was a charge they should be better. Take away the light by cloud or depth or even sunset and they really start to perform. I'm reasonably sure it's the light.

Thank you for the quick come back.

It would be interesting to know if there is a measureable electrical discharge. You probably wouldn't be able to feel it, but the lateral line on a fish could pick it up from a distance, probably beyond the reach of the light and then the light helps the fish close in on the bait.

If it helps catch fish, I can live with how it works. I'll be trying one out soon.....

Anytime you have a water activated device, there will be some voltage transmission to the water. This will vary as the batteries wear.
Our lights emit between .55 and .65 volts. Another variant often overlooked is the ability of the water to accept a charge. Stained water
does better than crystal clear water. Salt better than fresh, which is better than "tap" water. Fewer minerals, lower acceptance.

The concept of the light is simple. Fish are attracted to light. Whether they bite due to hunger, aggression or just being curious, really
does not matter. They take the bait.

High quality glowing lures have proven themselves time and time again and they discharge no electricity at all. It is all about the light
and these lures work far better than their non-glowing counterparts..

Enter the era of LED.

By using today's microtechnology, we put the light in the lure. LED is far superior to glow paints in terms of intensity. As for short term
endurance, the LED light is, again, far superior. Glowing lures last between 7 and 20 minutes of bright glow. The colder the water, the
shorter the "burn time". The water in this area is cold. This means using a glowing lure for more than 15 minutes or so
{depending on quality of glow materials}, you will have to raise and recharge/swap it.

Our lights are designed to burn for approx 150 fishing {wet} hours before replacement is required.

If you lower a glow lure 200ft, how long does that take? Troll it around for 10 minutes and recharge it or replace it. If you don't, you are
basically pulling just another dark shaped object. Or, use LED lights and troll all day long without recharge or replacement.

For those not familar with light units, the batteries are not replaceable. They are pernamently sealed in a resin body. This is done for several
reasons. It ensures a waterproof seal,impact resistance, deep water pressure resistance and immobilizing the LED lights and microprocessor{s}
from rattling loose and other reasons. There is no way to open the light unit without pernament, irrepairable damage. And, of course, it is cheaper
to replace the unit than just the batteries.

I have a few other designs I am working on currently and as they become available {after extensive testing and proven abilities}, they will
be on store shelves. The latest design which Spring Fever spoke of is being released now. It is called "Wench Pearl Glow". The UV lights are
on shelves now as are blue, green, white and a really cool 7-color. Check your local retailer.

Thank you all. I am committed to bring you the best, most innovative fishing lures possible.

There you go BB -the answer from the owner-be assured-we will see some very innovative products from this gentleman. He won't put it out-unless it works. I know that for a fact-if I can't rig it to catch fish consistantly with normal techniques he turns it away. Fun for me for sure!!

Back