Leaking Sea Star System/Intellisteer

pescador

So I get back to the marina this afternoon tie up and clean the boat. Once done I turn the wheel to raise the motor and hydraulic fluid pours on the floor.
I have an Intellisteer system and it looks like it’s leaking somewhere in the Intellisteer system under the dash where it’s mounted by my steering wheel. Never had an issue before and it’s strange it happened right at the dock.
Are there any issues with the Intellisteer Octopus pump system or lines anyone is aware of? Are they prone to leaks? Could it just be a loose connection?
If this happened out on the water somewhere and I lost all my fluid, could I still steer the boat?
If I find it’s just a lose connection, do I need to bleed the system or just add more fluid?

FYI, It was a hose going into the Octopus pump. It was loose. I tightened it but I think it needs replacing.

I had a leaking line. I tightened it which only slowed the flow. Pulled it apart to find the line had not been cut square. Cut it back an inch. Reassembled and no leak.

I used pipe dope on the connections the last time I replaced my helm pump. I always carry a spare quart of fluid with me...once the pump looses fluid or gets to much air you will loose your steering. The only way to steer when that happens is to turn and hold the motor by hand at the transom. I had always meant to make up an emergency tiller handle for mine when I was going offshore. Something that could be quickly attached to the motor and give you a solid connection and the leverage to manually steer....someone else would have to work the throttle from up front. But at least you could get home on your own power.

I used pipe dope on the connections the last time I replaced my helm pump. I always carry a spare quart of fluid with me...once the pump looses fluid or gets to much air you will loose your steering. The only way to steer when that happens is to turn and hold the motor by hand at the transom. I had always meant to make up an emergency tiller handle for mine when I was going offshore. Something that could be quickly attached to the motor and give you a solid connection and the leverage to manually steer....someone else would have to work the throttle from up front. But at least you could get home on your own power.

I carry Gorilla tape with me always so I can tape the net handle onto the motor and steer it that way in a pinch. I wasn't sure if the motor would turn without hydraulic fluid but it sounds like it will. tx

Back