Leaf springs

ryanb

My leaf springs in my 2 year old roadrunner look awfully rusted. I do wash them every time with fresh water after launching, as soon as I can anyways.

Obviously with the corrosion these are a wear item, but when do you replace? I just want to avoid a nasty surprise in the middle of nowhere.

Ok, I'm bored and I'm not fishing so I'll chime in.

Gonna need more info, boat weight, type of trips and a pic would be helpful. Spring steel is awfully tough and you really don't hear of too many springs breaking, but they do occasionally. Typically they flatten out and are toast before they will break. You can throw a wire wheel on an angle grinder and see how deep the corrosion is but I would bet it's not too much on a 2 year old trailer.

My 2 cents anyway

I just replaced the springs on my trailer last year, they were 19 years old. They were mostly just in fresh water until the last 4 years. I had to have the axle redone and figured since I was half way there I should redo everything. My axle is 3500# and each spring is rated for 1750#. I think they would have lasted another couple years but once I took them off the bushings were in pretty rough shape. I would go withe Gear'N Beer recomendation of buffing off the rust and having a look at the depth of corrosion

Mike

What about coating the springs in something like Fluid Film once you have wire wheeled the springs. Or even before newer springs get too rusted. Might be something to consider.

Oly

IMO once you have removed the springs, disassembled them cleaned them up, replaced the clamps and anti squeal plates etc., you are further ahead just to replace them as a unit already assembled. Having a bit of rust after two years is imo a minor cosmetic issue. The bushings will seize or fail long before the springs fail.
If you do decide to get new springs, you can beef them up with extra leaves if you want. lots of info here: https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Boat-Trailer-Leaf-Springs_c_106.html. Galvanised are also available

What a great link gungadin.......I had no idea those spring packs were so cheap.

You are often better off getting them at a local spring/suspension shop, at least if you need it shipped to Canada.

Back