leader length

wagonmaster

What is the current recommended leader length for a hootchie behind a flasher for springs? Heading out to Constance tomorrow. I generally use bait with a 6 or 7 foot leader, but I recall the length for hootchies should be shorter as they have no action of their own. Haven't used them for a while.

Most people use 2-3 flasher lengths and #40-#50 leader.

I use 32"- 36" leaders with 40lb test maxima. Heavy test leader is critical I think. Good fishing wagonmaster! Chain swivels are highly recommended as well.

I use 36 to 42 for springs-mostly 42 but you could go shorter than 42 on actively feeding springs-really no one size fits all because trolling speed also come into it.

Try a different length on each side of the boat.

Right now I would go 37 inches back of flasher to nose of hoochy.

If short:- I would go 34 inches BOF to NOH.

If no hits I would start going longer on at least one side.....go up to 42 and if that doesn't work go 48.

Your "dropback" will make a difference on how fast the flasher rotates and also the diameter of the arc.

Longer dropbacks seem to work better for me....at least 20 to 30 feet.

Boat speed, lately I haven't been GPS'ing, just go until the d/lines are about 35 degrees......it doesn't take too much to get a flasher to roll......

Smaller fish will chase a ballistic hoochy....big fish are too lazy most of the time.

Try a short leader. I've been running my leaders between 18" and 22" for hootchies for the past 5 years or so. I rig with 40# or 50# leader material. The hootchie is moving pretty quick. The fish have to decide if they want it and hit it strong. Chinook, coho, pinks will all hit it. When I shortened up, my hook-up ratio went up markedly.

Back