Lead Molds for Cannon Balls

Hey all, I just came upon a little over 300lbs of lead that was used for plumbing stacks on roofs. I would like to know if any of you have molds for "Cod Jigs" 6,8 or 10 ounce. Or, Any Cannonball molds 10 or 12lb. I thought it would be fun to make a bunch of them, like the old high school days on the metal work forge.

I would be happy to buy or rent the molds I pay in beer or cash or maybe even some fancy new cannon balls.

If anyone knows where they sell them I would like to know. Thanks, Rob.

Be careful when melting lead. You don't want to breathe in any fumes and get lead poisining. Do it outside or in a well ventilated area. I would read up on it before you start.

wear disposable clothing, get a face mask to breath through, do it outside on a very windy day. Even for today's price of lead I would find some one to trade the bulk lead to for some already made cannon balls. The stuff is just not good for you. I have dealt with guys that pour lead for over 20 years and most have died an early death.

...LOL, ya - that is until you have the heavy metals in your blood checked...then you will truly know if it did or did not have any effect on your health.

It's always good to take precautions when working with lead...I too have been working with lead for years, you would be shocked to learn what your blood can reveal.

Cheers,
RVP. ;)

quote:Originally posted by adrianna3

I've melted tons of lead and poured hundreds of weights. It never hurt me none.[xx(]

with raw lead wholesaling out around $1.40 a pound, there will be no such thing as "cheap" 15lb lead balls by next year.

Back