Soucre: American Sportfishing Association

For Immediate Release

ASA, Mary Jane Williamson, 703-519-9691 x 227
B.A.S.S., Mark Byrne
TBF, Robert Cartlidge, 580-765-9031
Cascade Musky Association, Mark Wells

Washington State Fish and Wildlife Commission Imposes Lead
Fishing Tackle Bans
Recreational fishing community’s efforts dismissed by adoption of unwarranted fishing tackle regulations

WASHINGTON, D.C. – December 9, 2010 – Twelve of Washington state’s fishing spots that generate much-needed income for fisheries conservation and habitat restoration through fishing license fees and tackle sales, are now subject to a new regulation that prohibits the use of lead fishing weights and jigs that measure 1.5 inches or less. On December 4, the Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission adopted that regulation, along with a ban on fishing flies containing lead at Long Lake in Ferry County. The commission rejected an alternate proposal submitted by five national and regional recreational fishing organizations that incorporated a comprehensive community-based, scientific study of loon and waterfowl mortality and an education program for fishing and boating enthusiasts to minimize disturbances and threats to loons and other water birds.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, whose income, in part, is derived from fishing license fees, argued in favor of the measure that the Commission ultimately adopted, even though their arguments were inconsistent with the Department’s own findings of healthy loon populations and increased nesting sites in the state. Freshwater fishing in Washington contributes more than $1 billion annually to the state’s economy and supports more than 9,500 jobs.

“Though these regulations have been imposed with the aim of conserving loon populations, the commission overlooked the much more eminent threats to the birds in Washington, such as shoreline development and disease,” said American Sportfishing Association Vice President Gordon Robertson. “Over the past 13 years, advocates of these new regulations have only been able to identify nine loon mortalities from lead fishing tackle ingestion.”

“We are disappointed that the commission did not accept the recreational fishing community’s proposal to assist with the further understanding of loons in Washington,” said Mark Byrne with the Washington Chapter of B.A.S.S. “Our proposal provided a measured and studied approach to a decision that should not have been made until adequate data was available.”

“The decision to ban lead sinkers and jigs in these lakes will have no positive effect on the loon population in Washington,” said Gary Morris of the The Bass Federation (TBF). “A win-win decision would have been a cooperative program between anglers, boaters and the Department of Fish and Wildlife to bolster the understanding of interactions between people who enjoy time on the lake, especially anglers, and loons. We believe our proposal would have added to the body of evidence that is necessary for the commission to make an informed and balanced decision - a decision which we had hoped would be only made once the issue of lead fishing tackle and loons was better understood.”

“The issue of lead-containing fishing tackle and loons tends to be based on emotion, and not on sound scientific data,” said Robertson. “In reality, only a small number of loons die each year from ingesting a lead sinker or jig. Other mortality factors – shoreline development, pollutants such as sewage and run-off - account for the vast majority of loon and other waterfowl deaths.”

The recreational fishing community notes that the commission’s new regulation disregards Washington Governor Gregoire’s Executive Order 10-06, which states that all government agencies, including commissions, are to “suspend rule making that is not immediately necessary.” The Executive Order was issued to help small businesses and communities during Washington’s economic recovery. This newly adopted regulation will negatively impact the state’s economy, job force and fishery conservation funds.

Robertson said, “The arguments presented in Washington were emotionally driven and not based on scientific fact. Unfortunately, the commissioners rejected our proposal, which would have significantly advanced the knowledge base of loons and other waterfowl by bringing anglers and other outdoor enthusiasts into loon conservation projects. It’s difficult to understand why such a proposal was not considered, especially when it came from anglers, the very constituents that pay for fishery conservation in Washington.”

“Despite the lack of data to back up the assertion, the recreational fishing community was offered up as the source of loon mortality,” said Mark Wells with the Cascade Musky Association. “Nothing is further from the truth.”

Wells further said, “The recreational fishing community offered a logical and common-sense, community-based plan that included a high degree of recreational community participation and ultimately provided for a better overall understanding of loon populations. Who better to offer help than people who spend time on the water with these birds?”

###

The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) is the sportfishing industry’s trade association, committed to looking out for the interests of the entire sportfishing community. We give the industry a unified voice speaking out when emerging laws and policies could significantly affect sportfishing business or sportfishing itself. We invest in long-term ventures to ensure the industry will remain strong and prosperous as well as safeguard and promote the enduring economic and conservation values of sportfishing in America. ASA also represents the interests of America’s 60 million anglers who generate over $45 billion in retail sales with a $125 billion impact on the nation’s economy creating employment for over one million people.

The Bass Anglers Sportsmen’s Society (B.A.S.S.) has served as the authority on bass fishing. The organization advances the sport through advocacy, outreach and its expansive tournament structure while championing efforts to connect directly with the passionate community of bass anglers through its Bassmaster media vehicles.

The Bassmaster brand and its considerable multimedia platforms are guided by a mission to serve all fishing fans. Through its industry-leading publications Bassmaster Magazine, BASS Times and Fishing Tackle Retailer; comprehensive Web properties in Bassmaster.com, BASSInsider.com, and ESPN3.com, and ESPN2 television programming, Bassmaster provides rich, leading-edge content true to the lifestyle.

B.A.S.S. oversees the prestigious Bassmaster Tournament Trail, which includes the Bassmaster Elite Series, Bassmaster Opens, BASS Federation Nation and the ultimate celebration of competitive fishing, the Bassmaster Classic.

B.A.S.S. offers an array of services to its more than 500,000 members while spearheading progressive, positive change on issues related to conservation and water access. The organization is headquartered in Celebration, Fla.

The Bass Federation Inc., (TBF) is the oldest and largest organized grassroots fishing groupin America. TBF is owned by those it serves and is dedicated to the sport of fishing. The TBF annually conducts over 20,000 fishing, youth, and conservation events spread throughout 48 state Federation chapters and over 2200 clubs and has provided the foundation for the bass fishing industry for over 40 years.

The Cascade Musky Association is a non-profit association established to provide and maintain an organization in which Fishing, Fun and Camaraderie will prevail. Its mission is to work with the WDFW on projects and issues vital to our Tiger Musky fishery and to educate and promote the sport of musky fishing with 100 percent catch and release.

Could see this coming. There has been a lot of talk about lead bans. Look at the steel shot issue for duck hunters as example of where this issue could go. Imagine no lead down rigger weights?? Guess I'll have to start making up bags of rocks for my riggers;)

Could see this coming. There has been a lot of talk about lead bans. Look at the steel shot issue for duck hunters as example of where this issue could go. Imagine no lead down rigger weights?? Guess I'll have to start making up bags of rocks for my riggers;)

I can get thoses coated for you :) Glow/Pink or Chartreuse :)

about friggin time! neccesity is the mother of invention. Surely there has to be a more eco friendly ball than lead! I smell money!

Sounds like a good idea to me. I use lead because I can and because it's what's available. But sometimes on the river, when I can see it all over my hands from dealing with pencil lead, I get a little worried. But I like the regs described above that limit the ban to weights below a certain size. That way we could still use lead on the riggers, which makes sense. Lead is costly enough, and I can't imagine any of the good alternatives being any cheaper.

Back