Latest on the SRKW

John Ingram

I'm hoping that this latest bit of info on the SRKW's will blow over and not have effect on the opening on August 1st.

The article says lifespan is 30-50 years. This whale is 35. Where is the news here?
There seems to be lots of salmon around.
Life and nature isn’t always pretty. The strong survive and the weak …
Sad yes but us not fishing isn’t going to save this guy.

The article says lifespan is 30-50 years. This whale is 35. Where is the news here?
There seems to be lots of salmon around.
Life and nature isn’t always pretty. The strong survive and the weak …
Sad yes but us not fishing isn’t going to save this guy.
True in everything that you said BUT is the DFO going to see this near death and all of the other SRKW that are still
starving and not sticking around as an out to shut us down.... never know with DFO

"And now this headline on the conservation forum"​

Sooke Whalewatching Company Directly Asking for Sportfishing to Close​

Then DFO should get on producing some hatchery fish. Or are they going to tell us next that the whales prefer wild fish.

I hear what your saying though. DFO is politically driven.
That's the major issue. DFO needs to be independent.

Part of the issue is in the name. People are misled into believing these whales are “Resident” to the local area, when in fact they forage from Northern California to Southern Alaska. They go where the food is, but those making money off them especially those ”studying” them, don't want people to know how little time they are actually in the area. The same groups who seemingly have no idea where the whales are for most of the year, declare themselves experts when the whales are passing through. It’s all about extracting money from the public.

No surprise there!

Every article published or televised seems to end with the same statement “only 74 SRKW’s remain” . That number hasn’t moved much in the 50 years they have been tracking them , in fact isn’t it up from 67 in the early 70’s?

I'm hoping that this latest bit of info on the SRKW's will blow over and not have effect on the opening on August 1st.

So tired of "SRKW need salmon to survive." These dolphins are very smart and adaptable creatures. Yeah, like me - "I really need T-bone steaks to survive." - but when I'm hungry enough, even Spam fills the void. Yuck but better than going hungry.

The only reason these guys are threatened is because of the industrial pollutants from decades of Seattle / Tacoma, Vancouver and Victoria dumping into the ocean. That toxic stuff concentrates in the fatty tissue of apex predators. The females release some of those toxins into the fatty milk their calves must drink and it often ķills them. Zero to do with a preference for big, spring salmon but the ignorant, popular narrative prevails.

Small podlet of 3 or 4 was in the Malaspina just off Epsom Pt second week of July, feeding happily.
Video here

Disgusting. I took the family for a dinner cruise the other night and I saw a parade of boats in a usual Sidney fishing spot and knew it was a whale show. We saw the pod surface… in the middle of all of the boats. I bet some were within 50 feet of them.

As we slowly went way around the back of all of this and got to our destination a few clicks away, over the next hour we saw at least 10 more large whale watching boats screaming in that direction. I bet those poor whales get hounded 16 hours a day, every day all summer. How dare they blame sport fishing for anything to do with orcas.

GFYS to this particular outfit!

Back