Langara Island

JuandeOne

Have the distinct privledge of spending five days at the Lodge in a few weeks.

Was wondering if anyone, who has spent any time up there, has any cool advise to pass along in terms of what to bring, what to expect, fishing related etc?

Just thought i'd put it out there. Thx.

I wouldn't bother going.... the Lodge is way too posh and the fishing is marginal. [8]

Sarcasm, pls don't flame [:p]

Last year in that time frame fishing was excellent but not much for size.

It's an amazing place have fun take lots of pics.Are you staying on the land based lodge or the floating one?

Actually, Langara "AND" River's Inlet both... are "very much" currently on my "hit" list, along with 'Shearwater'?

I have not fished above 'Cape Caution', so, I would be "very much" interested and appreciate "any" information for those areas! [:0]

I stayed at Langara Fishing</u> Lodge a few years ago-service was good on the dock but the place is showing it's age and the fishing was marginal.

In the end I don't like fishing without a downrigger and the days when you could just throw a cut plug overboard and haul in a big Spring Salmon are long gone-never to return.

If you're heading up to LFL be on the water early as possible don't monkey around get your butt out of bed and go</u> I'm talking about leaving @ 05:30 hrs no later.

If you're up @ LIL it's a different setup no one leaves early and they all have to be back early for dinner-not my cuppa tea at all.

Charlie, I've done Shearwater a few times, via ferry and 3 trips past the Cape via Boat, what do you want to know?

quote:Originally posted by JuandeOne

Have the distinct privledge of spending five days at the Lodge in a few weeks.

Was wondering if anyone, who has spent any time up there, has any cool advise to pass along in terms of what to bring, what to expect, fishing related etc?

Just thought i'd put it out there. Thx.

Heya.. in a few weeks you're going to be into a few Coho for sure. Springs will be there to be found--find the bait and chances are you'll find the fish. Each trip is a little different. Find out where the Guides are fishing and watch carefully where they are. Where can be VERY important and make the difference between hooking 1-4 springs in a morning fish or 15-35 springs in 4-5 hours. You'll find the guides outfish the unguided by a large margin----area knowledge is key. What some experience and call "marginal" fishing, can be totally different for other anglers on another boat. Results can and will vary wildly between boats. Learn how to cut plug if you don't know already and ensure you can roll a herring, take your favorite mooching rods (10'6" or longer), your favorite single action reels (Islanders, Penn, WHY) and get ready for fun. You may also consider your favorite smallish Coyote Spoons when you're interested in the Cohos as cutting herring is unnecessary. If you're unguided, you should be able to fish 4 rods in anything bigger than the basic red boat. On a 5 day trip, you will have NO PROBLEM to limit out on every species in the book if you so desire. Each year is different up there. If you hit the right trip and hit the right area, there is not another location on the coast which can or will offer up the sheer quantity and quality of springs by mooching in terms of time fished. WCVI can give Langara Island a run for the money at those times, however, you'll be fishing well offshore and trolling with downriggers. I haven't fished up there for years, but I can tell you, it isn't what it used to be...however, it does offer fishing that is "getting there" relative to the days of yore.

I disagree with Dogbreath's statement about getting up "early". If the bite is "early" depending on the tides or situation, then yes, by all means, get up early. However, the bite can also be late, after many boats are off the water. I've fished the area for many many hours and know this to be true.

Since you're spending the money to go to Langara, I recommend a guide and an upgraded boat package. It's worth the money.

If you're going to WCFC, all the tackle types which work on WCVI work great as well and you'll have a ball with downriggers and traditional gear. Try not to bother fishing with Flashers on the mainline...they're not necessary 99% of the time of the season. If you're fishing with downriggers, you may wish to take up a case of Anchovies, as that can give you a competitive advantage...however, not by much depending on the situation. Langara Fishing Lodge and Langara Island Lodge do not have downriggers available as they're just not necessary to catch fish. Their Grady White boat packages do offer downriggers if you book with them.

Take your camera, take lots and lots of pictures of everything you experience, and post them on here for all to see.

quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

Charlie, I've done Shearwater a few times, via ferry and 3 trips past the Cape via Boat, what do you want to know?
quote:Originally posted by SeaWolf

Everything... Can you write me a book! ;)

I am still "leaning" towards Shearwater next year (which I have never fished), but the River's Inlet fishery seems to be coming back very nicely the last couple of years - with some "nice" fish? Then Langara? Can't afford to do all three - the same year! [:0] :)

Decisions - decisions! :D

I`ve been to the floating camp twice and would go back again . Everyone who can possibly see their way clear to spend the money should do it at least once. Fabulous fishing, fabulous food , first class all the way !! Nothing more fun that double headers alone in the boat !!!:D

have fished at North island lodge twice, downriggers are an advantage, both times we took chovies and they worked well, a big white plug also caught springs, Gunia and the rest of the mainland averages size was a little bigger-better on the Ebb Tide, flood fish all points on east side,the flood can pushe fish offshore, between the points can be good also, try to keep up with what guides are doing, they can be a little close mouthed, herring teaser heads will work. fish shallower, our biggest fish on the second trip was taken at 30ft. at 6a.m . prepare to have a blast , good luck Drilleryells

Thanks for the responses guys. We will be at LFL ("the floater"). Being on the water it feels like it will be more into time on the water and fishing. I plan on long days on the water unless weather is an issue.

You guys are getting me excited now (that doesn't sound good lol).

I've always been a keen observer of "what works" so will be constantly watching guides for troll patterns and locations. Not too experienced with cut plugging but I understand they provide general instruction. I have had a few people who have worked there over the years give me a few tips that sometimes stand out otherwise a large herring teaser as mentioned may not be a bad idea to try.

Although herring presentation is very important, I assume boat movement and troll pattern is equally as important.

Mega photos are in order for sure.

One more thing bring some 10oz sliders with you they usualy only give 6oz banana wieghts,that time of year they may still be deeper.

Well got back Saturday evening after 5 days at the Lodge and boy what a trip! Senery, lodge, service, food and especially fishing were all superb and weather was fine.

As it turns out, we timed the trip just perfect as the Manager claimed the Wednesday we were there as the single best day for chinook in the past 2 years.

As usual Cohoe annd Andrews Points were the most consistant spots but did we ever kill them at "Burger King."

Highlights over the 5 days were 4 double headers, 1 triple header and 1 quadruple header - all springs. And one afternoon at Burger King we had 16 springs to the boat in 4 hrs which is pretty good considering these 17-30lb fish can scrap for 15-20 mins on average...hardest fighting springs I have ever encountered in over 20 years of fishing.

Got our chicken hali's and lings but didn't spend much time on these as the freezer was already getting full and the springs are psycho after you stick a hook in them.

All in all the place met every expectation I had before going and would recommend the experience to anyone who is into hardcore fishing and has a few extra bucks to blow for some serious luxury. We were unguided and spent an average of 14 hrs a day on the water...talk about heaven.

Back