lake cowichan

W

wetbeaver

going up to lake cowichan this weekend, fished up there lots at this time of year and always done extremely well, just wondering if anybody has any success stories as of late. and were. I have always bottom fished but want to try trolling and i have never had any success at that so any info would be helpful.(and i dont mean from you salty)the boat needs a good flush. that is just a joke too salty tell me something.

Bob Orchison was up there and did very well trolling small tomics and rapala's behind light gear 60 feet back and no weight. Just off Nixon tight to the shore on the edge of the drop offs. The one day derby is coming up very soon too!

havent been there recently but when u launch ur boat and get out of the marina and past the island turn left and go to the endof the lake till u see a creek and troll back and forth or go to bear lake and troll out front

thats the same day as the pacific salmon foundation dinner in nanaimo guess i wont be going. that and salty wont trout fish anymore. somebody post something on here about how lake cowichan is better than sproat lake for fishing someone on here said they would rather fish sproat than cowie. sproat lake is a fairly dead lake it only has about one fish per acre, im not sure about cowie but i know it is more, and they both have big fish!!

speaking of sproat lake, I grew up with a place on the lake, never had any luck but havn't been up in years. any tips on how i could better my chances. locations, tackle, time of year? appreciated!!

quote:Originally posted by Iceberg

speaking of sproat lake, I grew up with a place on the lake, never had any luck but havn't been up in years. any tips on how i could better my chances. locations, tackle, time of year? appreciated!!

Where the Taylor meets the Lake...troll around big leaches(fly), or use chronamids(spelling?) super slow retrieve.
Many big trout in Sproat Lake (not as many as there used to be,... due to "over catch and keep")

LET IT GOOOOO.....CATCH IT ANOTHER DAY.

hey, just bought a $20 walmart fishing pole.
I'm wondering if anyone can tell me about what to use off shore or in a small row boat in lake cowichan? thanks

I heard from a couple ppl there are trout in the lake that can get up to 15-25 lbs is this true or a lie??

seems a bit of a tall tale to me, although I've seen pictures of 10-15lb trout taken on the island so it could be possible. I do remember about 10 years back there was a 17lb or so fish caught that was huge news, but I think they said it was most likely a steelhead and not a resident trout. Anybody remember that?

I seen a picture Of somthing of that size in the news paper I thought it said 26lb but maybe it was 17 and it was out of lake cow .

it was actually a brown trout i think that it was not ten years ago, in fact more like four years ago. I have seen one trout close to ten come out of the lake, and lots in the 5-6 pound range.

yup thats it. it was a brown trout, was it not 26?The one on my fridge right

oh we are talking about different fish then, the one I'm talking about was absolutely a rainbow or steelhead nto a brown and it was around 8-10 years ago. I guess that answers the question, there is a few big fish in that lake.

I remember a story I heard of someone catching a spring salmon in there close to the 26 lb mark in the time frame you have all mentioned and he thought it was a big rainbow even went to show it off around cowichan and then he got busted from the COs up there.
Dont know if its true or not you know how rumors get spread LOL

Wolf

Back