Know Much About Diesel Trucks?

Dogbreath

So I got a new job taking visitors on tours along the Sea to Sky all the way up to Whistler-I've always enjoyed showing people around and it's a new Mercedes truck so driving is fairly easy.

When I stop @ Porteau Cove there's some treats/water/juice for the guests-the finest Costco has (!)

But I've been wondering about hauling all that water (there's a crate of it must weigh 40#) up/back to Whistler once a day doesn't that cost money?

So I asked my Boss & he said he was told that with a diesel engine weight isn't much of a factor-how accurate is that?

I've driven enough diesels but only owned gas & propane vehicles so don't know enough to say-what the opinion of the brain trust here?

TIA

Carl Z

I'd be more concerned about plump tourists!

Yes....diesel engines are notably heavier than gas; has a pretty significant effect on tire wear as well.

With any kind of propulsion weight is a factor, diesel motors do handle it better due to the higher torque. But a diesel has higher operating expenses over the long haul. The average owner does not get his money worth from a diesel like a fleet owner would.

Mpg loaded diesel compared to gasser is huge...gasser will use way more fuel at the same load amount..

I think it's a basic equation of energy. It still takes X amount of energy to haul the water from point A to point B. However small, it still adds up. I see guys all the time with a pickup full of junk in the box and wonder if they notice it at the fuel pump.

Dave

Diesels will not be affected in the 40# extra weight that is in ??'d.......... IMO my diesel @ times run like it dose not even feel a tow of 10K of my boat, only from stop to start & up hills
I do see a drop in fuel economy but better than paying someone else to haul my boat

Kh

at 40lb you wont notice a difference in mileage, even with a gas vehicle. just too small. is there a difference? sure there must be more weight to move = more work needed to be done. in the big picture though, negligible.

I'll give that an x3

oh *****!!!! my foot must weigh a thousand pounds!!! lol

Back