Kingfisher Offshore - information wanted

Adler

Hi, we are considering a big jump to Kingfisher 2525 Weekender, but have not actually been onboard that model in the water. Have been scanning old threads and reviews online, etc. Anyone in South Island area have one (or maybe the 27), better yet have one on water, they'd be willing to show us for gas and your favourite brew (or whatever), and share feedback and advice on?

Advice and feedback from anyone who has one, or has had one, anywhere is welcome too of course.

Last edited:
Never been on one but there’s lots of info on here about the aluminum boats in that size range. Seems like from what I’ve read and from a buddy who has been on one. The ride is terrible due to the bathtub shaped hull. And they are very very loud. You can’t even talk to your copilot (from what I’ve heard). Just from what I’ve seen and heard I’d say look into another brand like north river, For that amount of money. The kingfishers are pretty and they market well with the tv shows but for sure go out on one if you can on a bad day. All boats ride nice when it’s glass out.

Hi, we are considering a big jump to Kingfisher 2525 Weekender, but have not actually been onboard that model in the water. Have been scanning old threads and reviews online, etc. Anyone in South Island area have one (or maybe the 27), better yet have one on water, they'd be willing to show us for gas and your favourite brew (or whatever), and share feedback and advice on?

Advice and feedback from anyone who has one, or has had one, anywhere is welcome too of course.
I’ve actually piloted in the largest model they make the 3425 several times, I used to service one for a well to do family for a few years, It was honest to goodness the worst riding ocean hull I've ever been in, just crossing the seabus wake felt like I was getting the crap kicked out of me. And this one in particular was impossible to keep level, its like trying to balance a watermelon on a pencil, it just likes to flop over on its chines and stay there. And yes they are noisy, they are aluminum which has that tendency, but for some reason this one echoed really bad inside, so yes having a conversation at cruise is pointless. And I’ve skippered well over 100 different boats everything from an 8 foot rib to a 130' superyacht this was one of my least favorite ocean boats.

Last edited:
I’ve actually piloted in the largest model they make the 3425 several times, I used to service one for a well to do family for a few years, It was honest to goodness the worst riding ocean hull I've ever been in, just crossing the seabus wake felt like I was getting the crap kicked out of me. And this one in particular was impossible to keep level, its like trying to balance a watermelon on a pencil, it just likes to flop over on its chines and stay there. And yes they are noisy, they are aluminum which has that tendency, but for some reason this one echoed really bad inside, so yes having a conversation at cruise is pointless. And I’ve skippered well over 100 different boats everything from an 8 foot rib to a 130' superyacht this was one of my least favorite ocean boats.
Was shopping last year for a 28ft welded. Went out in two different kingfishers 2725's - a few observations, it was loud on the chop, surprisingly tight inside, lower gunnels than I liked and visibility from the back deck through to front was limited. Took a 28ft thunderjet pilothouse off the west side - heavier build, quiet, ate up the chop, bit beamier and deeper pocket in the back. No comparison really. I have a friend that is on patrol with DFO and he boards lots of boats and that one (KF) he fingered as the one with noticeable roll. But hey, lots of guys have em...

Hey there, I owned a Kingfisher 2525 Weekender for about 8 years with twin 150 Yamaha's just sold it a couple months ago. Here are a couple of my thoughts: PS almost all my time on it has been Barkley Sound and Offshore are 123, Nootka etc... little in Georgia Strait

There is know free lunch in choppy rough seas, KF's are fast & economical on fuel for their size and with the correct input from the captain they ride just fine. To drive fast (everyone has a different opinion on what fast is 24+ knots for me) in rough water you have to know how to trim, work the throttle and steer. Many of the heavier boats of similar size (fiberglass etc) are more set it and forget it but probably burn at least twice the fuel. Always a trade off. Or just trim the engine(s) and trim tabs down throttle back cruise at 18~20knots) Dozer through but that's going to affect fuel burn rates.

I've been around boats all my life, part of that working for/trained by Coast Guard Northern SAR zone search and rescue. If you take the time to experiment with trim and throttle etc shouldn't have a ride problem.

I liked the lower profile as it's less windage issues being a relatively lighter boat, I'd rather step down into the cuddy than troll sideways cause of beam wind. I'm short and still whacked my head a few times on that door ha ha but got used to it.

Almost all alum boat are louder inside, KF's have a nice bulkhead and door, with the door closed no probs chatting or listening to tunes. Also you can also nose them into the beach/rocks to let people, dogs on and off, I even beached mine let the tide go out to scrap the bottom a few times.

- I don't like paint on alum boats
- they are nicer inside than I needed but great for camping spent up to 7 days camping super comfy even winter camping with a ESPAR
- pick up a little walker bay or something to throw on the roof so you can anchor and row into shore beach for activities

Good luck with it they are a hoot, look after it and you get a good chunk of your investment back when it's time to try something else they have a following for a reason

P.S. I should add..... if you're interested, my favorite alum vessel is the the North West Aluminum Craft there were none available at the time I bought the KF and have way to much A.D.D. to be on a wait list

Good riding boats they are not, but they are also more fuel efficient than some others. I think you could get a lot more boat with a custom build, but that requires waiting, potentiality a long time. Easier said than done.

There is a lot of paint, which will fail sooner or later. Railings are stainless, which is not ideal on an aluminum boat, especially one with a lot of paint.

Overall they are an OK boat that really hit a niche, no other brands really produce something comparable in that size range.

2625 x 9 1/2' beam. i like mine, economical and low in the wind. Quiet inside. The closed cabin is where its at on the west coast.
if i had money to burn on fuel and motors i would have gone glass in the same size. Osprey or Parker type.
i like the 125 litre round trip to big bank for sure. but, definitely give up some comfort with aluminum. suspension seats and some trim helps alot. also keep a half a tank of fuel in it for belly weight. i dont like the newer/fully painted kingfishers that are not as beamy. They even look nose heavy.

Thanks for the feedback so far, including a few PMs. I'm aware that there are perhaps better boats out there, my dream boat is one that I've spent time on with family, Sea Sport. But we find ourselves in a place where we have a set budget for a boat, we aim to fulfil two primary uses (fishing around Victoria and elsewhere on the island, and light cruising - overnighting for a few days with the kids up Desolation Sound), and we don't have a lot of patience. We don't want to go another summer without a boat - it's been 3 years since we sold our last one, and relying on others to get our fix isn't working! The companies we've checked in with are now taking orders for next fall delivery at the earliest. Plus, looking at the market, there are very few boats out there right now - either new on lots or used, there are very few available. I've been watching (and thanks for all the sharing on this forum).

And then there is the cost. We are fortunate to find ourselves in a place where we plan to make this purchase and keep it for a long time to come, but within the budget. The similar Sea Sports are significantly more than we intend to spend, and from the quotes I've started to receive from other well known aluminum builders, the same goes those.

I should mention - this plan is not only wife approved, she is driving the boat so to speak! Loves fishing as much as me, but has certain requirements, including the comfort of a cabin, overnight capability etc. So this seems to check the boxes. We are well aware that it isn't necessarily the smoothest ride, may be louder than we are used to (but out last boat had a loud 2 stroke...) and we'll have to learn to handle it, but we also pick our days and location carefully. That being said, a sea trial is a must, and if I can get an extra one in on the island without having to go to Van, that would be ideal. Thanks again for the input.

There is a 2725 destination for sale at Custom yacht sales in Sidney...almost new and well equipped. Check it out.

The V berth is set up to sleep port to starb as opposed bow to stern unless of course your are 5'3" then you're golden

i have a 2725 and it checks a lot of the boxes for me. We use it for 2-3 day trips with me and the wife around svi and the gulf islands with plenty of comfort for the better half (happy wife /happy life ) I also spend lots of time fishing Barkley and west coast van isl. we have no proplem carrying on a conversation while running at speed and i've found the only times that the ride is bumpy is when its to damn rough to be having fun anyways.I have to admit i'm not too impressed with the clear coat coat coming off the paint. You can always find a better boat but i'm pretty happy with mine

Back