killing & cleaning frogs for leg meat

Osama Bin Hopper

Anyone done this???

Seems these big invading bullfrogs are the perfect species and I think I'm gonna give it a whirl. Just thought I'd see if anyone had advice/tips on cleaning/meat prep.

Jeff

havent done it myself but my buddy in comox does it all the time and says their great

So what do you do? Spear em with those frog-forks at night? There's some massive buggers at Quennell lake in Cedar.

I've eaten a lot of things i've caught but thats going too far for me.
Seen the huge ones at Quennel.Loooong legs.Kids used to catch them.

Never done that, but a buddy and his kids would go get them and have a big cook out.

To make it fun, he fly-fished for them! I kid you not.

My son says in Windsor, Ont. they go nuts for those big frogs legs, they skin them and deep fry them he says they're delicious. I heard thats where they came from, someone was going to raise them for commercial purposes but abandoned the idea and let them go, now we have a problem. Maybe a bounty on them is an idea.

The bounty is a great idea. I've seen it applied across the border to attack the Pike Minnow in a Salmon river.

I can just see it ... me telling my wife:
"But I am going to work, I'm going fly fishing for frogs"

Cheers,
Alex

The bounty is a great idea. I've seen it applied across the border to attack the Pike Minnow in a Salmon river.

I can just see it ... me telling my wife:
"But I am going to work, I'm going fly fishing for frogs"

Cheers,
Alex

Hi, iv'e killed and cleaned many bullies.It really helps to have 2 people.one to hold the light one to push pole.one person pushes a boat with a long pole8-10 ft. Put a foot on the bottom of your pole so your pole doesn't sink into the mud.this takes a little practice.The person with the jig,it should have a 8ft.pole attched.Look for gold eyes reflections.You need a good spot light with a 12volt battery.When you spot one slowly and quitely pole up up him,never taking the light off his face,then with one hand jig him, thrust forward don't try to rear back then stab, or you wont get him.Get the jig about 6inches before you stab him.Then either lift the pole straight up,or let go of the pole then just grab the frog.or they can push themseves off You'll need a goob to put them in,or they wil escape.remove the rear legs cut them off like a chicken legs.cut off the feet.the skin will peel off.hope this helpsP.S.we use a long bambo pole:D

do you kill'em before cutting the legs off?[xx(]
if so,how do you kill him humanely?I know they're just frogs but they seem to have a bit of a character to them.

Hi knuckles,that is a problem ,frogs are hard to kill,use a billy club or a smallbat.hitem hard or you will just K.O. them.[}:)]

I don't want to eat the bullfrogs butI do want to kill them and get them out of the pond by my house, can anyone tell me if I need a fishing or special licence to kill these bullfrogs? the local sport shop doesn't know. if I get enough for a meal I just might try to eat some to see how they are.

quote:Originally posted by Bandit

I don't want to eat the bullfrogs butI do want to kill them and get them out of the pond by my house, can anyone tell me if I need a fishing or special licence to kill these bullfrogs? the local sport shop doesn't know. if I get enough for a meal I just might try to eat some to see how they are.
Just sneak down there with a pellet gun.

or just go all in and take out the old 12 guage shotgun. but you wont get much meat off them from being shot in a trillion pieces.

To kill 'em, grab them by the legs, give them a swing and rap their heads on the side of the boat or whatever. Quick and effective. They are considered to be a 'game fish' in Ontario and there is a limit on how many can be taken. Oh, and watch out for the sharp spine[:0] It can really cause damage[xx(] Best to wear heavy gloves and avoid the very big ones:D

Geez Jeff all you had to do was call uncle Doug ..I am sure I am not the only flatlander thats cooked up a whack of frogs legs.Here is the recipe... first check to see if it is male or female if its a male whack it up side the head with a small ball peen hammer,after it stops convulsing take a fillet knife and chop off the legs above the thighs. (Discard the rest of the carcass). Heat up the pan and throw in some butter or oil, throw in the legs and cook 'em. Thats all there is to it.
quote:Originally posted by Osama Bin Hopper

Anyone done this???

Seems these big invading bullfrogs are the perfect species and I think I'm gonna give it a whirl. Just thought I'd see if anyone had advice/tips on cleaning/meat prep.

Jeff

If you got them in your house you have a big problem!
quote:Originally posted by Bandit

I cooked up some frog legs a few years ago (you can purchase them from a large supermarket - although they are from oversees) Would have probably taste better if I would have gotten them from the wild. The meat on them was quite amazing. Due to where they came from though, you could taste the "pond" on them. Texture was similar to spam and chicken combined. I made a very thick garlic sauce to dip them into to get rid of the pond taste. Fried them for 5 minutes on each side just to be on the safe side, and they weren't too bad!

frogslegs.jpg

Back