Kicker Steering...

damnfish!

Hey Guys,

I have a 26ft Commander with twin inboards, and I have a Pro-Kicker 9.9 I use for fishing. This year I have been using a Garmin TR-1 for the steering of the kicker... however, I don't like it at all.. totally takes me out of it when it comes to fishing.

I'm looking to install an independent steering system for the kicker, with 2 stations... one inside the cabin and on the stern of the boat.

I'm having some trouble finding some hard answers to what I need... so I'm going to put it out there, if anyone has a system like this, and can offer advice that would be great... some photos would be awesome as well.. but what I really need is part numbers form Teleflex...

Cheers!

DF

Hey Guys,

I have a 26ft Commander with twin inboards, and I have a Pro-Kicker 9.9 I use for fishing. This year I have been using a Garmin TR-1 for the steering of the kicker... however, I don't like it at all.. totally takes me out of it when it comes to fishing.

I'm looking to install an independent steering system for the kicker, with 2 stations... one inside the cabin and on the stern of the boat.

I'm having some trouble finding some hard answers to what I need... so I'm going to put it out there, if anyone has a system like this, and can offer advice that would be great... some photos would be awesome as well.. but what I really need is part numbers form Teleflex...

Cheers!

DF

What is it you don't like about the TR1 system? Most guys I know that have one, LOVE it. Do you have the throttle control hooked up and the wireless remote?

I have the Panther remote steering on my pro kicker 9.9, and am not wild about it. It takes some getting used to, but doesn't come with two stations. It has a small remote that works from anywhere on the boat. I never tried their wired control unit, it was on a long cord, so could be used from most places on your boat.

Yup, throttle, wireless and auto pilot hooked into established routes...

It reminds me of cruise control... Just takes my head out of fishing.

Tr1 kick butt if you convert to a steering bar you will be doing more work then you are now.

I had SG Power in Victoria order it in and install. The unit cost approx $400 plus install. I'm very happy with result.

I have the Panther remote steering on my pro kicker 9.9, and am not wild about it. It takes some getting used to, but doesn't come with two stations. It has a small remote that works from anywhere on the boat. I never tried their wired control unit, it was on a long cord, so could be used from most places on your boat.
I've got the same unit and just mounted the controller with the cord in a spot near the back of the boat to steer with. It's still removeable so I can still move it to other places in the boat. Works great.

Had a Goetz ezy steer for a couple of yrs-great! Electric control with 12' of wire to an el/hydraulic unit with 2 hyd lines to a ram on the kicker-steer from anywhere on the boat. From Galleon marine Richmond.

I have the Goetz hydraulic system. Like the ability to control boat and run gear from the stern. Cable is long enough to reach the helm as well. The only problem was control switch needed replacement. Cheers

Not to hijack but will be selling my Goetz system a little later this fall. PM if you are interested. Its on my Yamaha 9.9, minimal use, new toggle cable

Back