Kicker steering rear station ideas.

keeps you out of the elements more too. just need a convex mirror mounted to watch the rods. lol
Actually I've been sitting sideways on the gunnell and I run my rods straight back so it's been good. If I have 2 or more people it's not an issue and if I'm alone I only fish 1 rod on the port side so again not an issue

I have my secondary hydraulic auxiliary steering right middle stern with controls. In my boat U have a ledge in back and sit either side. Very handy.

As soon as I had this done sure made landing fish easier Alsio if fish solo complete game changing system.

I could probably do the autopilot thing if I wanted. The only thing I don't like is I can't adjust speed from kicker from helm.

May have to do something on that one.

So with this you can use either or? The remote or the wheel on the stern. That’s a great option. I ended up just going cable steering for the kicker. Only problem I’m stuck at the back if the weather turns ugly.

It’s too bad you can’t have a dual helm hydraulic setup with dual hydraulic cylinders that you could control the inboard and kicker from both helms. At least I don’t think it’s possible. Haven’t seen it done.
Yes you can use both, or even take over, with the wheel, from a rookie driver on the remote. Unfortunately, with a stern drive, you can’t have hydraulic on the kicker and the main. I phone SeaStar’s tech line and they said no go. Different kinds of cylinders for inboard and outboard. Another reason why outboards are so popular these days.

Yes you can use both, or even take over, with the wheel, from a rookie driver on the remote. Unfortunately, with a stern drive, you can’t have hydraulic on the kicker and the main. I phone SeaStar’s tech line and they said no go. Different kinds of cylinders for inboard and outboard. Another reason why outboards are so popular these days.
Yeah figured as much. Well that’s good to know. Maybe down the road I’ll upgrade to the system you have. Sounds to be the best of both worlds.

Yeah figured as much. Well that’s good to know. Maybe down the road I’ll upgrade to the system you have. Sounds to be the best of both worlds.
It’s been good so far. The IntelliSteer can be interfaced with an autopilot, but that gets expensive fast. Once again with outboard main you can do both motors on autopilot, so the expense is more warranted.

It’s been good so far. The IntelliSteer can be interfaced with an autopilot, but that gets expensive fast. Once again with outboard main you can do both motors on autopilot, so the expense is more warranted.
That’s the dream. Just not justifiable on this boat.

I have my secondary hydraulic auxiliary steering right middle stern with controls. In my boat U have a ledge in back and sit either side. Very handy.

As soon as I had this done sure made landing fish easier Alsio if fish solo complete game changing system.

I could probably do the autopilot thing if I wanted. The only thing I don't like is I can't adjust speed from kicker from helm.

May have to do something on that one.
Screenshot_20230206-192842_eBay.jpg

Spendy, and does all of that plus some

Might likely be different kinds of cylinders but you surely have a cylinder on both engines and run them on hydraulics. Just need a switch to go from one to the other.

I think you just asked the wrong questions. They probly were thinking it won't work because of cylinder length. One might be out by 1/4 turn lock to lock. Doesn't matter because it's only when your on the kicker and you won't notice it whatsoever. You can convert any i/o to standard seastar hydraulic, and ditch the power steering pump. Then add a liquid tie bar, and another seastar ram. I would not try and cheat with a baystar on that one, because the line volume and cylinders should match. Done this lots.

I think you just asked the wrong questions. They probly were thinking it won't work because of cylinder length. One might be out by 1/4 turn lock to lock. Doesn't matter because it's only when you’re on the kicker and you won't notice it whatsoever. You can convert any i/o to standard seastar hydraulic, and ditch the power steering pump. Then add a liquid tie bar, and another seastar ram. I would not try and cheat with a baystar on that one, because the line volume and cylinders should match. Done this lots.
It’s been a while since I talked to them. But I think they said one is a balanced cylinder and one isn’t? They said they’d loose sinq of each other? Too bad cause having the main as a rudder would be great.

It’s been a while since I talked to them. But I think they said one is a balanced cylinder and one isn’t? They said they’d loose sinq of each other? Too bad cause having the main as a rudder would be great.
They always loose sync of eachother, in a kicker platform. Now if you were to have twin main engines like that then it's a problem. Using the system with a kicker is no big deal whatsoever we do it all the time. Simply get your main straigtened out as good as you can, turn the valve and connect the kicker. When turning off the kicker make sure its straight. Super easy. It's splitting hairs on that with seastar because they won't recommend tying to different length cylinders together for their own liability purpose.

They always loose sync of eachother, in a kicker platform. Now if you were to have twin main engines like that then it's a problem. Using the system with a kicker is no big deal whatsoever we do it all the time. Simply get your main straigtened out as good as you can, turn the valve and connect the kicker. When turning off the kicker make sure its straight. Super easy. It's splitting hairs on that with seastar because they won't recommend tying to different length cylinders together for their own liability purpose.
If my Merc steering has issues, I’ll ditch it and do this. This time I’ll reach out to you, so I get it right. Thanks

If my Merc steering has issues, I’ll ditch it and do this. This time I’ll reach out to you, so I get it right. Thanks
I got speeders boat in the shop right now completely ripped apart. Same setup. Come have a look if your one the mainland. Ask him his user opionion also, he charters everyday with it about 6 months a year

Works great when it works. I've had to warranty every one we ever sold. The one on my own boat... I'm on number 4 in 2 years.

Your correct that you cannot buy a remote. I've had the talk with the reps, and the head office of trollmaster about the issues. They don't seem to care. However my rep will warranty for a year and sometimes we can scrape a unit through on warranty anyway after a year because we're all so unimpressed with the products reliability. Sucks really because it looks nice, feels nice, works great when it does, then the OLED screen will start reading in Chinese and then quit.
Are you talking about the troll master 3 plus, the wireless one? Thats crazy to hear, i got one when they were brand new to the market years back and mines still going strong. Only issue i ever have is the battery contacts get a bit rusty so the unit will shutoff due to the bad connection. Bit of sandpaper on the contacts and good as new. Maybe I just got lucky? Also not sure what the other guy was talking about, I can still use my regular throttle control when not using the troll master or if it dies.

I got speeders boat in the shop right now completely ripped apart. Same setup. Come have a look if your one the mainland. Ask him his user opionion also, he charters everyday with it about 6 months a year
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I don’t have any plans to head over to the LM soon. I’d definitely be interested in checking it out.
Is “speeders “ a local fishing charter? “Need for speed”, out of horseshoe bay?

Are you talking about the troll master 3 plus, the wireless one? Thats crazy to hear, i got one when they were brand new to the market years back and mines still going strong. Only issue i ever have is the battery contacts get a bit rusty so the unit will shutoff due to the bad connection. Bit of sandpaper on the contacts and good as new. Maybe I just got lucky? Also not sure what the other guy was talking about, I can still use my regular throttle control when not using the troll master or if it dies.
Yep that's the one. I'd say you got a good one. Don't loose it!

Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately I don’t have any plans to head over to the LM soon. I’d definitely be interested in checking it out.
Is “speeders “ a local fishing charter? “Need for speed”, out of horseshoe bay?
Yep that's the one. Built for speed fishing charters. Wicked charter guy. Fishy *******

Contact him and ask him how he likes that setup. He's a very knowledgeable guy

Back