Kicker steering rear station ideas.

BryceWCP

Hi guys. I have an older searay 268 with a mercruiser 454 abs bravo drive. I’d like to change the kicker steering setup. Long story short it was a crappy design by the previous owner causing a failure to the main bravo steering. Anyways…. I have an older mercury 9.9 with remote controls. Id like to put a stand alone steering wheel for the kicker at the transom. As some of you may know the transom on these boats is a bit low and vary narrow so drilling a hole and mounting the works below deck is not an option. Im going to have to get something fabricated. Im looking for some ideas from you guys. Im sure someone els has done this and has ideas and comments

thanks in advance.
Bryce

I will likely have to move the bbq and make that spot for a wheel and kicker controls. Will get better pictures soon

So I've been steering my kicker with a tiller for the last 6 years. Decided to put hydraulic steering on and while I have always thought it was great sitting at the back looking forward I decided to put it on the back of the cabin . Took the boat out for the first time today and am so happy with my decision on placement. Controls are still on the way. I think just a Troll Master throttle control for now and full remote next year. 20220310_092609.jpg

just go with hdy steering ditch the power assit and add 3 way valves to switch between main and kicker .... thats what i have done before on my old rig V6 4.3 I/O to 9.9 ht yamaha

just go with hdy steering ditch the power assit and add 3 way valves to switch between main and kicker .... thats what i have done before on my old rig V6 4.3 I/O to 9.9 ht yamaha
The way my helm is set up it’s a real pain in the butt. I’d like to be steering from the transom while I’m fishing. The boat has gone through a full engine rebuild and much more this winter. Hydraulic steering is not in the budget!

I went wireless electric and it works FANTASTIC.

Two different methods either a joy stick or FOB.

Local guy in Langley makes them. Take up no room and use power supply from kicker motor if electric start.

Hardest thing I had was my motor was an older Yamaha so I had to jury rig mounting but that wasn't hard.

I went wireless electric and it works FANTASTIC.

Two different methods either a joy stick or FOB.

Local guy in Langley makes them. Take up no room and use power supply from kicker motor if electric start.

Hardest thing I had was my motor was an older Yamaha so I had to jury rig mounting but that wasn't hard.
Any pics?

Wireless remotes are good in calmer conditions. I chose a Seastar Baystar hydraulic kit with IntelliSteer hydraulic wireless remote kit. I like to be on my back deck near the rods and riggers. This way you have instant steering and throttle control. But it’s nice to escape to the wheelhouse on bad weather days or to have someone else steer with the remote. I put a thin piece of wood down and cook on my cleaning table, with my BBQ or Coleman stove. This saves some space, as apposed having a dedicated BBQ mounted.

Attachments

• A2E17B33-5A12-4AA1-AA0C-9DAAC2BCAD0C.jpeg
    A2E17B33-5A12-4AA1-AA0C-9DAAC2BCAD0C.jpeg
    218.6 KB · Views: 89
  • F6E44652-594D-44CC-A689-9908CCA8A2DA.jpeg
    F6E44652-594D-44CC-A689-9908CCA8A2DA.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 91
ship happens doesn’t speak highly of the wireless trollmaster. i installed mine last summer and have had no problems other than the fact it eats batteries like crazy. apparently the remotes die easily leaving you with no option to throttle up your kicker.

after he voiced his thoughts on the matter, i emailed trollmaster and confirm they DO NOT sell spare remotes. so i am nervously anticipating my remote going to crap on one of my west coast trips.

i always remove my head unit and remote and store in the house. i hope this prolongs the life of the remote.

not impressed

ship happens doesn’t speak highly of the wireless trollmaster. i installed mine last summer and have had no problems other than the fact it eats batteries like crazy. apparently the remotes die easily leaving you with no option to throttle up your kicker.

after he voiced his thoughts on the matter, i emailed trollmaster and confirm they DO NOT sell spare remotes. so i am nervously anticipating my remote going to crap on one of my west coast trips.

i always remove my head unit and remote and store in the house. i hope this prolongs the life of the remote.

not impressed
Works great when it works. I've had to warranty every one we ever sold. The one on my own boat... I'm on number 4 in 2 years.

Your correct that you cannot buy a remote. I've had the talk with the reps, and the head office of trollmaster about the issues. They don't seem to care. However my rep will warranty for a year and sometimes we can scrape a unit through on warranty anyway after a year because we're all so unimpressed with the products reliability. Sucks really because it looks nice, feels nice, works great when it does, then the OLED screen will start reading in Chinese and then quit.

Wireless remotes are good in calmer conditions. I chose a Seastar Baystar hydraulic kit with IntelliSteer hydraulic wireless remote kit. I like to be on my back deck near the rods and riggers. This way you have instant steering and throttle control. But it’s nice to escape to the wheelhouse on bad weather days or to have someone else steer with the remote. I put a thin piece of wood down and cook on my cleaning table, with my BBQ or Coleman stove. This saves some space, as apposed having a dedicated BBQ mounted.
So with this you can use either or? The remote or the wheel on the stern. That’s a great option. I ended up just going cable steering for the kicker. Only problem I’m stuck at the back if the weather turns ugly.

It’s too bad you can’t have a dual helm hydraulic setup with dual hydraulic cylinders that you could control the inboard and kicker from both helms. At least I don’t think it’s possible. Haven’t seen it done.

I have a rear helm with my engine controls mounted beside the wheel. Works great, and I wouldn't like running a boat without this set up now that I'm spoiled. Adding to that, I also have auto pilot and have a remote fob that clips to my clothing. Having the ability to quickly set course, make small adjustments using the auto pilot fob is yet again, another level of game changer. Before fishing with the rear helm and AP set up I couldn't really appreciate the utility of this system - but now as the saying goes... you will have to pry that from my cold dead hands.

So I've been steering my kicker with a tiller for the last 6 years. Decided to put hydraulic steering on and while I have always thought it was great sitting at the back looking forward I decided to put it on the back of the cabin . Took the boat out for the first time today and am so happy with my decision on placement. Controls are still on the way. I think just a Troll Master throttle control for now and full remote next year. View attachment 77085
keeps you out of the elements more too. just need a convex mirror mounted to watch the rods. lol

Back