Kicker speed on turns

Hoochiebob

Got to throw this out there as my last two kickers have behaved the same way. Kicker tied to main via ez steer. Port side turn, rpms drop, starboard turn, rpms rise.No fuel restriction. Anyone else deal with this? Not a huge change in rpms, but enough to favor a starboard turn in busy seas.

Got to throw this out there as my last two kickers have behaved the same way. Kicker tied to main via ez steer. Port side turn, rpms drop, starboard turn, rpms rise.No fuel restriction. Anyone else deal with this? Not a huge change in rpms, but enough to favor a starboard turn in busy seas.

Mine does the same so your not alone...Only when ez steer is attached.

cables , but I like it . those speed changes on turns seem to pick up more fish!

beemer

A buddy of mine had a similar problem with his older vintage Evinrude 6 hp 2 stroke.One direction the revs would
drop slightly,but the other way the revs would increase more drastically.After some observation it became clear that it was some badly worn rubber motor mounts that were the problem.He wasn't able to get new ones because of their age
so he added some stainless washers to the base of them and that seemed to help the problem.I guess what happens is
the torque on the engine casing when your making a hard turn is enough to either push or pull the throttle cable just
enough to affect your rpms ever so slightly.Maybe you just need to check your mounts to see if they need tightening
or replacing?

Mine does it too. Definatley cables. If the bracket that anchors your cables has alot of play it will push on the throttle when turning one way, then pull the opposite. Get new cables or new bracket.

I think it has more to do with hydrodynamics. If your kicker is mounted off-centre, then when you turn one way, you encounter more resistance as you are pushing more hull area into the water to make the turn. Turning the opposite direction you are moving less hull material through the water. If you don't compensate by adding more throttle during the "hard turn" then the increased resistance causes the RPMs to drop more one way than the other.

This could of course be caused by cables or motor mounts as illustrated above, but for those of us with tiller motors, it's the increase in drag and resistance that causes the RPM change.

I am Thinking Franko has it pegged. Everything is tight on the motor, and it makes sense as a port turn puts more of the boat in front of the motor, creating resistance.(left side kicker) More noticeable now that I have upsized my boat with a different hull design.Just need to work it to my advantage now. Thanks for all the replies!

Guess I forgot to mention there are no remote cables, although I am seriously considering the idea.

Back