kicker size

S

siwash

will a 4hp yamaha kicker be enough to troll with on a 16' hourston?

6hp nissan is basically the same weight...might be the better option
thanks

I have a yammi 8 high thrust (2006) on my 17 welded aluminum..I would not want any less.

Definitely a minimum of 8. 9.9 is better - think about the ****** stuff it may have to get you out of.

My buddy just had a super horrid experience at Nipkish 2 weeks ago. The wind came up and on his way into a bay he took out the leg of his ib/ob and his 4hp kicker just wouldn't help enough.

He is alive, but the boat is done.

I use a 6hp on my 16ft hourston and it has more than enough power. I used it in Browns bay for chums and it pushed through the current just fine.

what kind of 6hp....if it is yamaha 4 sroke...than it is the same as the 8hp yamaha I already have...i am trying to find ways to cut down weight on the transom...

I had to borrow my dads 4 horse once,we tried too troll around Beechy Head and Secretary,it just wasn't enough we had it revved right out, and still were going backwards,I guess it depends on what and where you want to fish,my nieghbour has the same problem, motor is too heavy on the back he just took it off and trolls with the big one.DAN

I used a 4.something Merc on my 17.5' Lund ProSport with generally good success. It was just barely man enough when I got in some stronger tide situations on the canal. I was maintaining fishing speed into the current but not gaining any ground as far as position. Got to be a bit of a problem fishing near the boundries like Hocking Point. I used it because I had it. I have since bought kickers and opted for at least 9 HP. Still efficient yet powerfull enough to get you through some tough water if needed.

I don't look at kickers for trolling abilities alone.

I'm sure 6 horses is lovely for trolling in your boat, but what about when **** gets bad and your main is gone?

My buddy is lucky to be alive and lost a great boat because of his underpowered kicker.

But it trolled great...

yeah i guess i'm sticking with the 8hp 4 stroke...it gonna be heavy on my boat....but i'll be kicking myself if i dont

thanks

Back