kicker question?

islander55

ive got a 16.5ft larson with a 1992 yamaha 90hp two stroke
not sure on what size of trolling kicker to put on it
ive got a mint late 90's mercury 9.9hp two stroke that hasnt even been ran before that i would like to put on as a kicker or i have a 2014 mercury 3.5hp longleg four stroke that i could put on aswell, ill add in a picture to show you what the boat looks like
thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 68
That is a good question. Can the stern of your boat handle the weight of 9.9? Are you fishing smaller lakes or larger open waters? The 9.9 is certainly enough power maybe even a bit much but on the other hand the 3.5 may be a bit small. Maybe you should try them both and compare. Thats a nice space efficient boat.
With the 9.9 I would say you have the self rescue factor covered which may not be the case with the 3.5. The big question I would say is can the hull handle the weight of the 9.9?

sell both , get a six and put a 8 hp prop on it.

The 3.5 will be too small, you will need at least a 6hp.
I tried a 4.5hp on my last boat and it wasn't enough.

I'm with trophywife on this one. My boats 17.5" and I run a Yamaha 6hp. It's the perfect size in my opinion. Fished some pretty big tides at renfrew with no problems and it's light enough to not heel my boat over to one side. My prop is stock

Then you answered your question. Use the 9.9. The 2 stroke will be similar in weight to a 6-8 hp 4 stroke.

I would mount the 9.9.

It's better to be a little over powered then under powered plus you will be happy if you heed to get home on the kicker

Use the 9.9. The 2 stroke will be similar in weight to a 6-8 hp 4 stroke
This.

Unless you decide to sell the 3.5 four stroke and use those funds to buy a larger four stroke. You'll like trolling all day with the quietness and less smoke. Even better if you have it charging your batteries.

Leave the 9.9 mint. Or use it on a tinny for the lakes, and keep it salt free?

Adding my 0.02$ power reference - My 5hp Merc pushes my 16.5' in good chop just fine at half throttle, Id be confident going home in rough weather on it.

Good luck out there with whichever you choose

Back