Kicker motor problem, cuts out after running for a while

I had a problem with my kicker on my last sockeye outing. After running for a while, it would just die. Then it would not start up again. After trolling for a while on my main, I decided to try the kicker again. It started up a ran fine. BNut after trolling for a while it did the same thing. Yamaha 8hp with pull starting.
Is your kicker running off a remote kicker tank?
If so the cheapest and easy fix is to check the vent valve on the tank,if that does not solve the problem
open the filler cap, see if that works, if that works it is the valve. Cost nothing but a few moments of your time.

Good luck. ........BB

That is a common symptom for a high energy coil pack on it's way out. What happens is it overheats, breaks the power signal and then once it cools down it will run fine again until it overheats again. Unfortunately the only way to know is by differential diagnosis, eliminate everything else first.

That is a common symptom for a high energy coil pack on it's way out. What happens is it overheats, breaks the power signal and then once it cools down it will run fine again until it overheats again. Unfortunately the only way to know is by differential diagnosis, eliminate everything else first.
you can try the heat gun test, there is a way to test them with voltage meters cost of new verses cost of diagnistics , so, if in doubt change them out..

Last edited:
I have this issue with a Yamaha 6hp. It would run for 30 min or so and then stall (or would always happen with a fish-on just to make it exciting). Pump the ball, and a couple of pulls and it would run again for 30 min. Pretty sure it's the fuel line. The female connector at the motor was slightly leaky, and I think it would suck in air which would stall the motor. I replaced that and now it will run for an hour or more, but still stall. Pulled the lid of, pumped the ball a bit and noticed fuel dripping from the in-line filter. I think there is a small crack in it, so will fix that next.

I still don't think it is a coil...as a 2 cylinder engine will run easily one one cylinder if one coil was failing...it would would run rough and not have much power but it wouldn't quit completely.

I still don't think it is a coil...as a 2 cylinder engine will run easily one one cylinder if one coil was failing...it would would run rough and not have much power but it wouldn't quit completely.
i agree, if it sputters and dies , probably fuel , however if a plug on any of the cylinders is misfiring , it can cause a chain reaction ,, as each plug becomes fouled.. if you suspect one cylinder is off song , then shut the fuel and then ignition... pull the plugs and check if they are all the same colour /condition.

also if they are starving for fuel, the plugs may show lean mixture..

The original poster never mentioned whether it's a two or four stroke but if it's a four stroke they use a waste spark single coil system on that motor so if the coil is bad it kills the engine entirely, so a bad coil is a potential cause of this symptom. I have the service manual let me know if you want the resistance specs for it. If it's a two stroke it probably has two coils, and then this would make sense.

Fuel problem check connection to tanks and primer bulb. If you had a carb issue it would likely just stall or would have issues with low idle. Went through all of this before.

mine did that last week in bamfeild. the fuel connector was leaking when i pumped the bulb. it was also sucking air when the motor ran.... new connector, she purrrrs now!

Back